Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

That’s so cool. :-)

Space games unplugged! :)

Get yer nostalgia on :)

So I’m playing Starcom Nexus - It’s quite the game, very reminiscent of Rebel Galaxy in that you go from star system to star system, and you get more research / materials and can upgrade your ship - but you essentially build your own ship. The story is much more fleshed out, and a mystery novel with several twists and turns.

I’ve enjoyed the game up until now when I’m near the end - it doesn’t distinguish between side & main quests, and some of the quests are hidden in puzzles that I’m not fond of. At all. Had to resort to guides for 3 of them.

I think I’m nearing the end and sitting on over 4,000 research points because I’m not sure which path I want to go down - rail guns or drones. I don’t think I have enough for both, and I typically don’t upgrade until I feel I need the upgrade.

Up until now, I’m using Lasers & Missiles, which have been a pretty solid 1-2 punch and even with the new Lumae, or whatever they are called, I’ve been able to take them out.

I’m in a midsize battlecruiser size hull, with two more hull sizes if I want them, but to be honest, right now I feel like I’m pretty nimble and deadly, and adding more components - particularly energy hungry components, feels like I’ll lose quite a bit of that nimbleness.

Any thoughts on which way to go with the research or will lasers + missiles be good enough to finish the game?

IT’s been ages since I played, but my gut says missiles.

Well I finished playing Starcom Nexus. Overall I think the game is good and I’d say if you like Rebel Galaxy you should like this one. It doesn’t have quite the pizazz of Rebel Galaxy, but if the idea of roaming the universe and finding new races / planets and building up research to get bettter equipment / ships with the ability to create any ship design, this game is good.

One weak (for me) area is it has some really obtuse puzzles where you really really need to pay attention to things that you find / what people say and from these you can supposedly piece together the solution. I got very frustrated on about 3 of these & resorted to guides / walk-throughs to find how to find / solve these.

The other weak area is the map. I never could find a good mechanism for panning / zooming. It’s a bit of a kludge.

Overall I’d recommend this.

lol @ that screenie of Trek meets Rules of Engagement. Speaking of which, I have both ROE1 & ROE2 for DOS. Are they relatively bug free and should I play them?

Yes and yes and also that’s Star Fleet II and I am so mad at you right now.

lol. Sorry, Brian. On the surface, DOS EGA/VGA strategic space gui thingies all look alike to me, but underneath… ;)

With Mr Ray Fowler announcing the new beta of his Remnants of the Precursors, I went digging back to the other free MOO1 4x homage:

Looks like it was finished some time ago.

They said they were still working on it last month.

Thanks, Brian. Their old itch page returns a 404 so that’s what led me to think it was “done.”

Yeah apparently they’re focusing their updates on their Kickstarter page.

BTW, I didn’t think it was possible but Starpoint Gemini 3 has worse voice acting than the previous games.

I think they made a massive misstep with 3. The main character in the campaign is one the most unlikeable characters I’ve ever encountered, and the writing is LAUGHABLY bad. This made me not even wanna do the sandbox mode. I’ll stick with Warlords, that’s their best game to date I feel.

What’s the best Christmas present of all? The next major version of Star Fleet II (1.6) going out to playtesters. This new version is a major revolutionary and evolutionary step up for the game. Better friendly and enemy AI, more streamlined fleet management, a new combat command center, artifacts, ship upgrades, a built-in notepad, quick navigation capabilities and more. This game is going to be astounding by the time it reaches 2.0. This brings us that much closer to launching it on Steam and GOG. Yay!

Nice, I’ll wishlist it and Starsector.

I totally agree. I watched some gameplay videos and thought he was a jerk and idiot at the same time. I don’t know what they were thinking.

An excellent way to describe him.

Yeah, I think they were trying for the charming rogue a la Han Solo but they failed miserably at that.

Speaking of homages to MOO, I’m still debating whether to buy Interstellar Space: Genesis. The reviews are all good but never glowing. People seem to enjoy the novel exploration mechanics, but they see less innovation in other aspects of gameplay, including victory conditions. Still, it’s on sale for $15, and I’m inclined to take the plunge. What sayeth the hive mind?