Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Exploration is my favorite part of any 4X so I just love it for that. I enjoy its other aspects too, you can tell its made by folks who love 4X games but don’t love how wasteful they can be with one’s time.

I appreciated the peaceful Victory condition. I’m not enthusiastic about the turn-based tactical combat, but that is a personal bias, rather than a slight to the combat mechanics.

I have enjoyed it very much. And I agree with Brian that eXploration is handled creatively and well. Once you figure out how to manage infrastructure and production the game pace picks up but it is designed to start slowly which is fine by me but has turned some folks off.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I’m inclined to go for it.

I’ll have to revisit this when I get a chance. Steam shows that I played for 19 minutes. But IIRC, I only had about that much time to try it, then forgot to come back to it.

I can’t buy the GalCiv 3 Ultimate Edition (because I already have the base game and a couple DLC/expansions) and buying all the DLC I’m missing is more expensive than the Ultimate Edition. That’s not only unfair to early supporters of the game - for me it’s like a big “screw you”, the answer for which can only be “well, guess who won’t support you ever again”.

The ultimate edition isn’t one of those magic bundles that adjusts the price based on what you already own?

Nope, and I can’t even buy it for myself - Steam only shows the “buy as gift” option. There are quite a few negative reviews complaining about that, and Stardock hasn’t changed it. It doesn’t look like they will.

Well that sucks.

Indeed. Once upon a time, I had a physical copy of GalCiv 2 imported. I preordered Demigod from Stardock. I used Impulse. I preordered Elemental. I bought GalCiv 3 on release.

But now Stardock lost me as a customer, for good. Too bad.

I’ve run into this with other games in the last year - theHunter comes to mind. I wonder what the tradeoffs are?

Don’t know but got to say, penalizing players for buying part but not all of your game who now want to buy the rest of it is a bit odd.

Anyone know how Atrox Imperium is?

It’s coming along great. Awesome game.

I would write to them about it. It could be a simple oversight.

Check the Steam forums for GalCiv 3. It’s not an oversight. It’s intentional.

IT makes no sense. It’s customer unfriendly. I don’t get it.

It isn’t the first time Stardock does something that’s customer unfriendly.

BTW, proof it’s intentional:

https://forums.galciv3.com/500311/galactic-civilization-iii---ultimate-edition-bundle-on-steam---unable-to-bu

EDIT: the “solution” they provide there is buying direct from Stardock, which isn’t an option for me because Stardock doesn’t have regional pricing at all, which means it’s even MORE expensive than buying all the DLC on Steam.

It looks like they offered a work around at least for those on the forum who raised the alarm (though why they do not allow it to be selective on Steam is perplexing). I still think it is worth writing to them to see if they are willing to assist you with your circumstances. It does not hurt to try.

I always buy the founders edition so never ran into this type of issue myself.