Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

I game in an oxygen-nutrient filled pod that allows for 360 degrees of motion in six axes. Kind of like the stuff in the Abyss.

Any love for Pax Nova here?

Not from me. Game has no soul.

Noted. Thanks.

Happy to help save you money so you can spend it on better games.

Thanks. It was more the time than the money; it’s pretty cheap right now!

Dang. The total conversion Tie Fighter looks like the new best-in-class space sim.

Hey, @BrianRubin - spend any time with this upcoming game? It got shoved in my face, today, and I have to say it looks enticing

They have a pretty amazing video:

I’ve sadly no hands-on time with it yet, but I did a Q&A with the dev a while back.

I generally avoid early access like the plague, but this game has me really interested and I might break that rule unless it’s expensive.

Hey y’all there’s a new compilation of short stories out based on the Starflight universe! Check it out!

So I have the desire to replay the old classic space game Freelancer but I have no idea where my old CDs are and I don’t see it available anywhere like GOG or Steam. Is this game currently available and can it be made to run on a modern Windows 10 system?

I think there are patches to bring it up to speed but if you lost your CDs/key I’m not sure how you get a playable copy these days.

Hey Brian, Psi-5 Trading Company is on GoG now, currently $4.19. Huge caveat: it’s the crappy no-music CGA DOS version. Emulated C64 is much the way to go all things being equal, but for convenience’s sake even I am thinking of snapping this up.

Eurgh that looks horrible! Yeah definitely play the C64 version. Also, thanks for reminding me about that fantastic game, I think I’ll fire my emulator up later!

I’ve never played that one so thank you!

I don’t know any of the other authors since I’m very out of touch with reading science fiction these days, but I am a bit surprised to see Robert Silverberg’s name there, considering his high stature in SF over the years.

I played this on original hardware (C64) many years ago but quit after one mission because I decided I didn’t like that single, focused aspect of commanding the various stations of a spaceship to the exclusion of all else so it felt bland to me. However, the more expansive Starflight on the C64 was amazing, and possibly the best port of the game. Games like Dragon Wars, the early Gold Box games, and Neuromancer also had their best versions on the C64, imo, even if the Amiga versions were technically superior. There was just something about the Commodore 64 that made it my favorite computer of all time, and even my new i9-based PC just doesn’t give me a thrill like it did back then…