Space Pirates and Zombies 2, now with more neon!

They just released an update with VR support, on the beta branch. Going to check it out!

EDIT: Fucking. Awesome.

This appears to be almost finished, anyone play recently?

Also 50% off sale!

Special Note: We are trying to put together a final sale before v1.0 releases to help build awareness. We’re giving a hint here to hold off for a couple weeks if you don’t own the game yet but want to jump on before Early Access closes to get a better than release price. It sucks to buy a game shortly before a sale, so we wanted to give a heads up.

I, uh, don’t understand what they’re telling me. Are they saying an even better sale is coming, or that I need to jump on this one?

I think they mean hold off on playing the game, but buy it now while it’s cheaper.

Yeah this is the sale you want to buy in at. :p

I bought it a month or two ago and sank 10 hours or so into it. I’m not sure what exactly it is, but it’s really not grabbing me the same way as the original did. I don’t feel like I have any real control over the combat encounters, and the loot system is hard to get a handle on, in terms of what a given change is going to do to your combat strength, unless it’s a straight tier 1 to tier 2 upgrade of the same type. That said, it does have a “one more objective” vibe that keeps you playing.

I played it a couple versions ago and it’s pretty good. The UI for weapon/ship stats is about as confusing as possible and it can be difficult to understand why you should care about any of it and not just throw random weapons in and fire them all at once all the time, but once I ‘got’ it I enjoyed the combat. The “overworld” map and its faction manipulation was also entertaining, especially when the zombies get involved and you’re trying to keep them contained since they vacuum up AI captains. It has better balance and flow than the first game (which I stopped playing because I got myself resource locked midway through) although it is very different so that may turn off some existing fans.

I’m thinking that was before the sale went live?

Tempted to pick this up, but I just don’t like the Rebel Galaxy style 3rd person behind the ship where the ship can rotate without the camera moving.

Just got this (at a tenner, why would i not? I also wasted countless hours on the original SPAZ)

Fucking. Awesome.

@Misguided you can punch a button and go back to top down regular SPAZ.

REALLY? I had no idea. Thanks!

Well, that was a disaster. Tried playing for a few minutes. All the glitch & distortion effects made me nauseous.

Has anybody played the latest version? From what I read on the steam forums a few months ago, combat was not particularly fun/satisfying compared to the original. Has that been fixed?

The game looks like it’s pushing to a 1.0 release on Nov 7th. I tend not to buy early access, but I’m definitely interested if it’s turned out well at launch, as I was a huge fan of the first.

I played 14 hours in mid-late September. It’s a poor game in pretty much every area I could think of, and I’d advise a replay of the first SPAZ over playing this.

The developer(s) doesn’t seem to have had any particular reason for changing the way combat works beyond he thought it’d be cool, and it shows.

Yeah, I tried it briefly and it didn’t do much for me.

I like SPAZ2, but I wasn’t a big fan of the first one (I thought it was okay, just nothing special). I think most of my problems with SPAZ were about the game structure, not so much the combat itself. I find the combat in SPAZ2 to be enjoyable enough and the game structure is more to my liking.

There might be a pattern to discern in these replies thus far. :) The Steam reviews (take with a giant grain of salt, for obvious reasons) are Mostly Positive / Very Positive so I don’t think it’s universally disliked or anything.

For me, it was the combat in SPAZ that turned me off. So I’m really looking forward to trying the sequel once it reaches 1.0. I think the combat system sounds much more to my liking, but we’ll see. I did buy the game during the last sale. But I don’t want to dive in until 1.0.

The comments so far mirror a very long thread on the steam forum for the game that I read when I was considering getting in on early access. It sounds like they didn’t get to the patch where they add the fun in yet. I guess I’ll wait until someone bumps this thread and says “Boy, this game is really great now!”

Well, I don’t know. I have fun with it? That’s so subjective, though, that I don’t know how useful that is to you.

It looks like there’s a Demo on steam. Download that and find out for yourself?

I like the structure of the sequel, more or less (haven’t played through to endgame yet), but I’m down on the combat. Overall I prefer the original, but I’ll probably retry it at 1.0.

It’s one of the most disappointing sequels (work in progress) I’ve played.

Looks like 1.0 is November 7th.