Space Tyrant's draconian grip on both space and time

If unlockables were really required of roguelikes, most modern roguelikes, like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Cogmind, ADOM, and The Ground Gives Way, and many more, wouldn’t be roguelikes. I haven’t played Caves of Qud but I only want to list it here if it bolsters this truth. ;)

Is there any special bonus for taking out a senate capital world? I encountered one in an early mission and thought it might be manageable.

Thought the doom ray doesn’t seem to work on the fleet that was guarding it.

I don’t think there is a bonus, other than immediately winning the scenario. I’m pretty sure I’ve done it before.

I’m also pretty sure I’ve doom rayed those fleets as well.

Maybe I just had really bad luck. I hit them twice and didn’t notice any lost ships. Perhaps it knocked off a frigate and I couldn’t tell?

The doom ray should be upgraded. The home fleet have better units compared the the plain stuff just lying around.

Also the home fleets gets repaired each turn I think. I get that impression from the times I hit the home fleets, but cannot confirm on this.

I don’t think the home fleets get automatically replaced in full but rather the Senate can buy ships to fill out thinned fleets. My impression is that routine ship building depends on how much income the Senate has, while the big fleets pop up fully equipped due to one of those senate projects. I’ve seen some fleets get thinned and never reinforced but I’ve also seen others get reinforcements.

I’ve never seen a homeworld fleet NOT get fully replenished the turn after they suffer losses.

Not sure about that, the typical way the Senate get fleet is through the events that the planet generates, this includes the homeworld I think.

So I am not even sure the senate gets an income like the player does.

Judging by the screenshots, this looks like a game ideal for mobile platforms.

Correction:
“tyrants gets [sic] to do things”

Just won on my second campaign. I sent in one fleet, and wiped out all but the Senate homeworld’s last dreadnought. The next turn, the Senate only replaced three small ships, so I could easily destroy it with another of my fleets. The 26 defense was simply obviated by a 1 crystal Mind Control card. Very satisfying.

So, maybe the fleet replenishment is an RNG, just as the fleet deployments are. However it is done, I feel this game just does an amazing job of balancing all these different facets. The player is constantly given a number of crucial decisions to make.

I think this game makes a wonderful comparison with Into the Breach. While Into the Breach is sort of a laser-focused tactical feast, this game is a sprawling smorgasbord of strategic goodness.

Now, I’ll get to play with the bees.

I’m willing to buy you this game (I just tried to, but we’re not Steam Friends), and you could buy it for someone else if you think it is worth their time after playing it. If you still think it poorly designed after playing, then you’d only be out a little time.

I think the doling out of powerups is a great way to manage game difficulty. Others have said it took them many campaigns of accruing power to win, but I was able to do it on my second and I think you might be able to do it on your first. For all of us, that winning campaign is going to be competitive. It seems to allow a dev to have a much more granular difficulty curve than the old Easy, Medium and Hard modes.

Does anyone know if this will run on a laptop with an Intel UHD Graphics 620 card? The Steam page says ST requires a dedicated graphics card, IIRC.

Hey, thanks a lot! I’ll definitely give it a shot. If you were able to win on your second game, that sounds pretty reasonable. I was just concerned about the way it was described upthread, which reminded me of doing a bunch of repetitive throwaway gold-gathering runs in Rogue Legacy before finally buying enough upgrades to have an actual shot.

I have a laptop with an Intel 520 and it’s playable but slow and choppy. Not the best experience. I prefer to use the full computer.

I sadly decided to stop playing the game for the reason wisefool describes: the overall input lag in the 3D map view was unsufferable to me. Even with a dedicated 1GB nvidia mobile GPU, it was never reaching the 30s.

Thanks for letting me know @wisefool and @Left_Empty.

I was all set to finally win the Hoplite campaign. Unlocked dreadnoughts. Had a ton of perks, including the all important XP & level start perks. I could finally beat the militia fleets right off the bat! I send my forward main fleet in, about to crush both starting senate fleets and take control of the map before they could respond.

…and I draw an event that freezes my fleet for four turns. FOUR whole turns! By the time I could move again, there were militia deploy projects everywhere, and the starting ones had more than doubled in size and strength.

gg 5 hour run down the drain

Ouch.

That kind of put me off the game. :(

Yep, totally wasted since you didn’t unlock anything else… /s

I swear, you people act like you’ve never even seen a rogue-like.

-Tom