Spellforce 2

Having a surprising amount of fun with this Demo. Love loping through that landscape, passing my troops and builders… Camera control seems just a little short of what I want though. Is there really no way to tilt the camera when in ‘RTS’ view? And does rotate camera have to be middle mouse in RTS view, but right mouse in over the shoulder view? Tsk. And most importantly, is there really no way to attach the camera to a unit other than your avatar, and follow them automatically? That seems to miss out on a huge amount of cinematic potential…

When is this game due out? Looks and feels real nice…

Isn’t Starforce on the demo? No dice for me…

Picked up the first one and have been having a lot of fun with that. The one thing I really don’t like, which I hope the sequel fixes, is how fog of war is dealt with. If you reload everything you have discovered is blacked out again. The game requires you to go back to maps you’s completed for quests and everything is blacked out, even though you’ve beaten the map. Or, if the map is a long one and you want to save and come back, you will have to reexplore everything if you need to see it.

It is, but they’ve decided not to use it in the final game.

(You don’t need dice any more. You use a computer.)

Sounds pretty good, I never played the first one, but I’ve heard ok things about the game.

I played the first a bit but didn’t get far because something about it turned me off. I’m going to check out the demo though, just for kicks. The game looks amazing this time around.

I hope Oblivion doesn’t drown out its chance of selling. Spellforce 2 is due out a few weeks later here… (If you’re in the UK, get it for 17.99 from Play.com)

Actually, Play.com do pretty good prices generally, espeically on not-quite-ultrahyped-titles. I see Commandos: Strike Force, Tomb Raider 824 and Gothic 3 are all at 17.99 as well. And my Oblivion pre-order is only 24.99… and delivery is free. End of ad.

Having played a bit more, and explored some of the build options, still enjoying it. Dodgy dialog doesn’t detract that much, but you should really be able to attach the camera to any unit (a la Ground Control for instance)… and be able to tilt the thing whenever you like. Interface is generally good for controlling your various bits of army though.

It would also be good if you could click on the reource levels (e.g Silver: 140) to select a craftsman collecting that resource, which would make it easier to balance who’s doing what. Got plenty of stone, so I’ll use one them to build the farm. That kind of thing.

It’s out and on sale at Fry’s for $29.99. Anyone picked it up and have some observations to share?

here’s my irrelevant observation:

more of the same as the original, except more refined and therefore more fun.

Oh no you di int!

First impressions at RPDDot:

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1221

Pretty positive…

Can anyone explain to me why you would put Starforce on a demo?

Because you are Hitler.

Edit: By “you,” I mean the general you, or in this case, the people who do it. By “it,” I mean the action previously referenced, in this case putting Starforce on a demo.

Because often the Demo exectuable / content files etc are very similar to the final released game.

If those files are unencrypted / “protected” with Starforce, it theoritically makes it easier to reverse engineer the removing of starforce, by looking at those unprotected files vs the protected files.

Mmmmm… I begin to understand.

I hope you derive your understanding from my explanation, as Talorc’s post is a shameful example of apologist claptrap. There’s no excuse for Starforce*, ever.

• I once saw a bumper sticker that said “There’s No Excuse for Child Abuse.” I have to admit, I was impressed… with all the pro-child abuse sentiment in this country, it’s nice to see someone brave enough to make a public stand.

Unicorn McGriddle is obviously a Mafia collaborator!