Spelunky 2 - Bring Your Daughter to Work day

• Olmec will now throw bombs in phase 2 only if the player is below him
  • Reduced Olmec’s floaters life to 1HP
  • Made cursed pots a lot less likely to be accidentally destroyed on Neo Babylon
  • Teleporter backpack’s base price is now 12000 (down from 15000)
  • Hoverpack’s base price is now 12000 (down from 20000)
  • Black Market items are now sold at base price (cheaper)
  • Renamed Bear Trap to Totem Trap
  • Renamed Snap Trap to Bear Trap

I like the Olmec change, but have no idea why they made black market cheaper. It was already the superior route.

Yeah, it’s a vastly more interactive encounter now, which I think is for the best. You can really juke him around if you want now and it’s easier to get the Ankh now, though he takes a bit of practice to get to that point.

Here is me taking this guy apart in a LOT more fun fashion that pre-patch.

It’s like you’re playing a completely different game than me!

Yeah, I always just ran away. One hit with a bomb is likely death, so I’d just retreat to the relative safety of the tide pools. (Oh damn, it’s a dark level => walk straight into a giant clam.)

My most recent trip to Olmec I’d been cursed in the jungle and decided I may as well try it. Ended up almost killing him using just the whip (and jetpack, naturally). Blew myself up on a UFO with just a few layers left to break.

One thing I think is interesting that took me WAY too long to realize, is that second layer if you lure him off to one side, you can do the old-school “bomb a path to the lava” and then lure him into it, to avoid that hard part of the fight just like was done in the first game (that’s how I dealt with him anyway) and the layer isn’t very deep so it only takes a few bombs, too.

I made a quick and very short video showing off how I deal with Olmec in phase 3 lately. I’ve done this several times today and it works like a charm - now the first two phases are very easy for me but I didn’t record my dealing with them - it’s a matter of the following:

Phase 1 - This is the same - get him to stomp you until you break through to the second floor. Alternatively, like my method for Phase 3, you can lure him to one side to give you some time/breathing room to bomb a hole for him, but honestly once you do this a few times it’s very easy, very safe to let him stomp himself down to the second layer, and save your bombs.

Phase 2 - This is the phase that changed and it’s a lot easier now. Simply let him float back and forth and when you stand under him, he unloads bombs. You, of course, are actually completely safe under him - I try to stand in the same spot each time so he bombs out a reliable “channel” on either the left or the right - once he is where you want him, you can jump and whip first one side then the other safely, or better yet use a shotgun to collapse his hover pods over the channel built. Again, while he’s on the other side of the chamber, feel free to toss some strategically placed bombs to speed the process up. Note that if there is two layers or less of blocks between him and the third floor, he will break through them with his weight when he falls.

Phase 3 - This is where I made the video, but with about 5 or 6 bombs this is to me just as easy as phase 1 now.

This second clip I made when I… well, you’ll have to see for yourself. No one would believe me just me typing it up.

Ahhhhh. Spelunky! If it makes you feel better getting to 4-1 IS smashing the daily!!

I died in 2-2 by being flung into a bear trap, but my daily still hasn’t uploaded (I ran it last night) so that is odd.

I’m starting to agree with some of the criticism that the BS deaths have been dialed up to 11. The chance of some random thing happening and screwing you over (often due to stun time) is far higher than in HD. Essentially, even for good players, you need to keep playing runs until you get a run that, by chance, doesn’t screw you over. This, in addition to the longer game time, means, you need to dedicate a LOT of time to the game to get very far.

I think, for the sake of my sanity and time, I’ll limit myself to one or two runs per day.

I didn’t see my Daily ever post from yesterday, and that was fine - I was only on 2-2. But I got my third Tiamat victory on today’s Daily so I’m going to be real bummed if that didn’t make it to the board!

EDIT: There she is, so purdy.

I won the daily today, also my third Tiamat kill. Bought the early climbing gloves, then glasses on a dark level, spring shoes somewhere, got cape & shotgun from gambling, rode a rock dog through areas 2-5, usual spike shoes & compass from the Yetis. It was a rough start but easy boss, and I was low on bombs but didn’t need any after area 1 except for setting up the final fight. Possibly a 3 bomb win.

It gives you 2 extra minutes, so you get until the 5 min mark with the clover.

The Ice Caves always have a layer behind the main layer with a door that leads down through layers of ice where yetis and some other surprises live. Some guaranteed items can be found in there, depending on the foes you take out, that can help the run as well, but I’ll let you discover that for yourself, if you’re brave enough. :)

It’s way, way easier to rappel down the walls with climbing gloves or some other movement boon, for sure. Hell, I’ll often just drop down and hope I catch a ledge or land on an enemy - honestly it works more often than you’d think!

Also it doesn’t get rid of the ghost if it’s already spawned.

Yeah, this is a key point - often I’ve picked up the clover at like the 2m50s mark and breathed a sigh of relief.

Missed it by less than half a second once. :(

Oofta. I feel that.

A simple, crucial hint: land mines are safe to pick up. The third shortcut lets you practice areas 5 & 6, which really helped me. Also the backpack items are extra dangerous in Neo Babylon, but you can drop them by pressing down+buy.