Spelunky, a roguelike platformer

Can someone link to this ‘GameMaker’? Is it the YoYo one? The last Game Maker I used was “Gary Kitchen’s Game Maker” on the C64 (http://www.mts.net/~kbagnall/commodore/gamemaker/info.html). Which rocked, at the time.

Yeah,I think he means the YoYo one.

Bumping this thread for anyone who hasn’t seen the game yet.

I played hours and hours of it today. It is really good.

There’s also a newer version than when it was first posted.

Wow, I just discovered this game. I am in love. Randomly generated levels with a rich variety of creatures and items that interact with each other in meaningful ways. I love the fact that, for example, you can trigger an arrow trap and the arrow might kill a nearby spider or snake, or you can “aim” the giant boulder to mine out the richer veins of gold, and so on. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that gives a more lively feeling of “being” Indiana Jones than this does.

I just wish there was a way to turn the timer off. Slow, careful plotter and planner that I am, I always seem to be falling foul of the damn ghost.

Pogo, people shouldn’t insult you for not liking this game, but really, it’s good. I’d say, have another bash at it until you find a shop (the gambling den is a pretty funny “abuse” of the engine but doesn’t really count) and if buying something it still doesn’t appeal… well, I guess it’s not for you. I’d rave more about it but I have to get back to spelunking…

I’ve gotten hooked as well. Built my first shortcut, but I’m still struggling through the swampy stages. I have yet to get to the ice. It’s doing a great job of bringing the rougelike to the platformer. After I’ve gotten used to the controls, now most of my deaths are my fault, and not the games. It’s mistakes I’ve made jumping, or not noticing the giant spider, or tempting fate and a shopkeeper.

My biggest pain has always been spiders. The small ones I run from for the most part because of their tricksy jumps and the big ones I stay the ()&^ away from no matter what the reward.

The swamp levels hit me hard too. Those totems with the blades are brutal and I hate frogs. That said I’ve started using all my accumulated bombs to just make my own paths if something looks chancy. Oh and that climbing mitt is a godsend. I will risk life and limb to get one if I can’t afford one because it makes the swamp far easier. With a combination of the mitt and bombs I’ve made it to the ice level a small handful of times.

It’s nice to hear that arrows now stick in walls, pretty much the only time I’d get hit with them was when they’d bounce after being launched by a trap and didn’t catch what was happening in time.

I think trap arrows still bounce, but the arrows you fire from the bow stick in walls… not sure.

Played this a bit at work yesterday, and absolutely loved it. It really needs a gamepad to play correctly.

What a fascinating idea, though. A roguelike platformer. It seems like it could “break” very easily, however. I haven’t played enough to wrap my head around how much the randomness of the levels has to be controlled to avoid game-breaking scenarios… the code that is in place that I’ve seen so far has done a fairly good job of keeping this from happening. It does seem, however, that you can gate yourself by running out of items.

Very well done execution from what I’ve seen so far.

I’ve been watching it too, to see if levels can be created that you can’t beat without bombs or ropes. From what I’ve seen, there is always a path to get there, but if you go off the beaten path, than you can run into situations where you can run out of ropes and bombs to get you out.

I love how he put it all together, and it mirrors an idea I had stewing around of an action rouge like, but his implementation does much more justice to my dream in the sky ideas.

From what I’ve seen the only level where you may actually be required to use items is the ice level. The specific example being a large drop down with so many spikes at the bottom it would be impossible to miss them without using something - either bombing through so you don’t encounter them,using a rope system, or the jetpack.

As Nixon says, staying on the beaten path pretty much guarantees you a path to the door. I’ve encountered some pits out of the way but thats like a 1/40 thing. Much more common are those dam snake pits which never seem to have a reward that merits the ropes to get out or the bombs to blast out.

On PartnerNet.

And can anyone explain why someone would use .rar as a compression format? I’m not going to go download a different app to be able to install your app.

Yeah, that whole minute it takes to find and install winrar is so inconvenient.

It is, and pointlessly so. Much like your snark.

Oh, man.

google, “winrar”

man…

download

so taxing… five seconds to download? what is this horseshit!?

install

jesus christ, will this end already? no, I don’t want it in my start menu, motherfucker!

The solution of course is to use 7zip which can extract files in that really annoying .001,.002,*.003, etc. format and pretty much every other compression format ever. What are you using that can’t extract *.rars anyways? winZip?

Winrar’s a pretty versatile program. I don’t understand your hate on it.

It’s unnecessary! Every OS in the world handles zip natively, so using non-standard bullshit formats is the sort of thing you should only do if they have compelling advantages over the obvious, no-effort default. But there are no advantages to any of these alternative formats.

(I’ll be realistic enough to allow as how Unix-oriented things can use .tgz, because that’s Unix-native, but .7z or .rar or whatever else is all bullshit.)

Not everyone shares your blind love of ZIP.

I find the “irrelevant performance for massive inconvenience” argument just as compelling with RAR as I do with Ogg Vorbis.