Spelunky, a roguelike platformer

From Derek Yu (wow, I never knew he made Diabolika 2; that game rocks) of Aquaria fame comes Spelunky. Fight monsters and collect treasure while dying often in randomly generated levels. Like many good roguelikes, it’s hard to describe the game or even explain why it’s so awesome without spoiling things and making it less awesome as a result. So just play it.

And yeah, the controls suck at first. But you get used to them.

I don’t see anything to spoil. Run around and collect treasure (points) in randomly generated caves that all look pretty much exactly the same.

I tried, I really did.

I tried it last night, but the controls got to me, despite how much I love the pixel art. Really made me wish I had a gamepad though, since it supports that. I bet it plays pretty great with one.

And you must suck, because the levels change when you get a bit further.

Awesome, awesome game. Not made for people with horrible taste like Pogo.

I managed to steal a shotgun from a shopkeeper and miraculously survived the encounter. I felt so powerful until a spike took me the next level.

It really captures the great feeling of random situations in roguelikes. Like, running Indiana Jones style from a giant boulder and thinking you’re saved when there’s a hole in the ground. You notice an arrow trap, but it’s okay because if you jump straight down the trap won’t be fast enough to hit you. But you forgot you have a parachute on that opens automatically, and you jump down slowly to your arrowy doom.

Well this sounds nifty enough to give a whirl. Looks like an RPG version of ye olde Spelunker.

If the game hasn’t captured me in the first several levels of play, then fuck it. Why save all this superb gameplay for down the road?

I’ll try it again, but only because you insulted me.

edit: Nevermind, it was emptied from the Recycle Bin already. Oh well.

I can’t seem to get this to work with my wired xbxo 360 controller, anyone else have that problem/advice?

Horrible taste.

A tip for the first few levels:

Flares can be extremely useful. You start with three, and you can use them as a long range weapon until you get a gun (you can keep picking them up after throwing them), and they’re good for tripping arrow traps.

Did you try doing the joypad config when starting the game? Other than that, I believe there is a free program out there that lets you map keyboard keys to your joypad. I don’t know the name because my logitech pad came with it’s own program.

here’s one I found with a quick google search:

Anyone try to see how far they can get their pet rock without losing it or dying?

Anyway rocks tend to be common enough that I’d say, don’t waste your flares using them as weapons - there are levels that almost require them.

Rocks have a bad habit of bouncing off walls and hitting me in the face after I cry victory over my defeated foe’s body. Flares don’t do that.

Really? Well I guess its all down to circumstances then.

How far have you been able to make it? I`ve gotten to level 6 but thats it.

Oi, steal from a shopkeep, get away and see what happens. Dont kill him, itll be funnier this way.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Yes I did, it didnt detect it at all but when I went to configure the controller in windows it was working fine. Thanks for the link though, Ill check it out.

After playing for about an hour my biggest gripe is the fact that left+down is run while down+left is duck and walk. There have been a few times when I`ve needed to go gently down a cliff in a hurry and I accidentally run off of it instead.

When you start the game, I’m pretty sure there’s an option for the down running thing near the joypad and fullscreen options. Take the check off.

So I realized that I can use my PS3 controller, heh. Once I had that hooked up and working, the game played much better and I really got into it.

I’m not a fan of roguelike games where you lose all your progress when you die, but even so, I’ve played it quite a bit already. It has a lot of charm. 6th or 7th level is the furthest I’ve gotten so far…

You can kill him?

I placed a bomb in his shop once, because I wanted some gems nearby, and he immediately shot me down (I’m not sure if the bomb actually hit him or not though). I figured he would do the same if I stole something.

Controls are a bit meh, but other than that really awesome. I think the addition of RL elements in other genres is (mostly) always welcome. Thanks for posting about this, I’d have missed it.

Yes you can, 1 bomb kills him, spikes also 1 hit kill him. I believe if you bomb him the game calls you a terrorist.

Jumping on him does not, nor does hitting him with stuff. Well at least not long enough for you to win. And yes if a boulder rolls through his store he will blame you.

PS3 controllers work? Thanks for the advice I’ll try it and hopefully it can get me past level 8.

Edit: Rolling boulders do kill shopkeeps.

They do so!

Odd, something funky must have happened in mine then, maybe because it happened off screen. I’ll revise my post.

Overall though I’ve noticed a fair bit of glitchyness with boulders, spinning in place, merging with walls, stopping dead at the first wall (not a boarder wall).

After more playthroughs I continue to be impressed. Now if only he’d put it out on XBLA/XBLCG. =) I guess it being a GameMaker game hinders that, but that’d be nice. Didn’t I read something about GameMaker being able to output .ccgame files?

And (sorta) unrelated – where is my XBLA LodeRunner?!