Spirit Island Play-by-Forum

Right, but I was hoping to have a fourth other than myself, to get more folks involved in general and let me focus strictly on the admin role. Still, it’s coop, so there’s nothing stopping me from doing both.

Ok, so we have our four spirits. So, time for setup. Nobody is using a Low complexity spirit, so I don’t need to ask about using power progression or aspects. In the tabletop game, each player would select one board and position it, but that’s not super practical in this context and the mod has a setup script, so I’ll just use that. We still need to pick “our” boards because that will determine where we place initial presence.

I went ahead and selected Level 1 Brandenburg-Prussia as our adversary. Here’s the starting board layout:

My plan is to refer to the NW, NE, SW, and SE boards throughout, if that terminology makes sense to folks. Can you make out the board divisions? The brown dots are Dahan, the two-building white tiles are towns, the three-building ones are cities, the black bubbles are blight, the pink paws are beasts, the yellow snakes are disease. All that distinguishable for folks?

Here are the front faces of each Spirit board and unique Power cards:
I am red:

@Juan_Raigada is Purple:

@Matt_W is Yellow:

@rowe33 is Blue:

What I need from each of you is to select a board: NW, NE, SW, or SE. I am the only spirit that chooses anything about where to put initial presence, so I’ll take care of that bit, do the initial Explore, and then we’ll have our setup and be ready for our first Spirit Phase.

I’ll take SE

NW for me, ideally

I’ll take SW, unless NE somehow makes more sense for me!

Okay, here’s the starting Invader Board:

I really should have moved the Wetlands explore over to Build for the screenshot, since they’ll be doing that during Invader phase this turn. Oh well.

Here’s the fully set up board (incidentally, I just noticed the boards are marked A-D in the oceans, does that seem like a better way to identify them?):

Spirit Phase - Turn 1
During this phase each Spirit needs to, in this order:
Grow - select a growth option (some Spirits get to select two, like Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds), each option separated by | . The individual components of each Growth pick can be done in any order.
Gain Energy - based on your energy presence track.
Play Cards - note that you must pay their listed energy cost now but the effect will happen in either Fast or Slow Power Phase.
But we can mix this up between spirits as much as we like - e.g. Keeper could pick a growth, then I could Grow and Gain Energy and Play Cards, then Bringer could do the first two, then Keeper could do more of theirs, etc. And we should definitely do some coordinating of our picks. Keep in mind that events happen at the start of the Invader turn and will mess unpredictably with the board state, but we will always get Ravage > Build > (unknown) Explore for actual Invader actions.

I am thinking of doing my add two presence to oceans Growth (selecting one off energy and one off card plays) and then doing Tidal Boon and Call of the Deeps, which should let me eat the explorer off my local Wetlands, eat the Town off my coastal presence, and boost someone else. Plus a Fear for bonus.

I think you put your presence in my land @malkav11. I chose that one because it lets me get right to causing fear. I believe NE is still free, unless you really want SE.

I like the NW/NE/etc designations personally - easier to visualize than checking the letters.

Whoops, you are correct.

Well, I can still suck the Explorer off the Wetland there, but not eat it. Might be worth expanding into SE and sucking that one into the ocean instead if our Thunderspeaker can mess with the one in NE.

Edit: Well, I see a path but might not be worth worrying about in preference to other things. Anyway, basic shape of my plan still seems applicable.

I’m going to choose my right-most growth option, add a presence from my energy track to Grassland-3 on the SW board, gain 2 energy on top of the 2 I get by default. And I’ll play Dread Apparitions and Predatory Nightmares. My plan is to defend the spot I’m on with Apparitions, throw down some Night Terrors, let the Dahan go to town on the invaders, then push them over to the forest next door.

I’ll start with:

Grow 1 - gain power card
Grow 2 - place presence, +1 energy (will see which card I get before deciding track, if that’s allowed)

Remember that there is no Ravage phase this turn so defense will probably do nothing unless events fuck with us. Not that that means you shouldn’t play that card if it’s doing other stuff you want.

Hmm, good point. Let me rethink for a minute. I have to remind myself how to play this game.

Here are your power options (I assumed minor power, if you really want a major first turn I can correct that but I’m guessing not):

Also here’s an updated version of the board with my correct starting presence and my planned presence placements.

I’ll choose Lure of the Unknown and play my presence from the upper track please.

Thanks for running this by the way! I love the artwork and really need to play more solo games to get a feel for it.

Ok, Lure picked and since your only legal placement with that growth option is on the space you are already on, I placed your presence there for a Sacred Site. No Dahan, so Forbidden Ground doesn’t push anything. Also you will have 3 energy total and an ongoing Sun element.

Uh-oh, n00b BRODAN alert. :)

-Tom

OK, I’m going to choose my 3rd growth option, placing a presence from my power track into the 1-wetland of SE and gaining a minor power.

I’ll wait to see the power before I choose my cards.

Lol. This is pretty true :)

Ok, presence placed and 1 ongoing Air element gained for the rest of the game.
Power options are:

Damn, I like Encompassing Ward, but I think I’ll take Elemental Boon.

And I’ll play Predatory Nightmares and Dreams of the Dahan.