Spirit Island Play-by-Forum

Ok, grabbed.

I was going to play Boon of Growing Power for my play. Would it make more sense to play it on one of you to get that bonus energy also? Or just on myself?

I’m not in need of a new power or energy at the moment. If you’d like the Power, my vote would be go for it.

I assume you’re doing that instead of Lure of the Unknown to activate your innate power?

Hard to say. My strategy for multiplayer in this game is to say something like “Does anyone need an energy and a card? If not, I’m taking the card.” This game is great because there’s no way to keep track of everyone’s abilities, but you can call out stuff like that to enable synergies.

I will say that if I had another energy I could play my element booster to give someone else elements and I have good synergy that way with Oceans to cause extra fear. But I don’t need another card.

My innate power needs 2 suns, right? Either way I’m short of the 2 suns needs I believe. I can play Boon to get another minor power and hope I can activate Spreading Wilds next turn.

You’re getting an automatic Sun element from your energy track now, so with the Sun on the Boon you can activate the basic level of Spreading Wilds, plus add on the 1 Plant effect.

I was just thinking that it might be better to work on Invaders than expanding your powerset given that you could conceivably open up two plays next round and get that in along with something that effects the board. But your innate does help with that. On the other hand, it does it at slow speed and the Lure of the Unknown is Fast.

PS: You can play Powers you just gained during Growth, if you weren’t clear on that.
PPS: @Juan_Raigada - any thoughts on whether a Boon would help you or your plans for the turn?

Ahh, I missed that on my board, sorry. I think it makes sense to go with the Boon for myself (unless Juan badly needs it), then Spread, pushing the explorer into SW-7 with the 2 Dahan, leaving a Wilds in 5. Does that all appear legal? I could then add presence in 5 next turn if everything remains the same.

Actually, this might be very good - I could pick Moon, Air, Water, then you could activate your 3 moon ability to give an extra element and give me a Stone, that would generate more fear from both of us and I could up to drowning a City with my other innate. Which, now that I look at the board, I put my coastal presence on a city, so I’d need to retcon and move that to the town if we’re not doing that. Not a big deal either way.

That would be legal, yup. See above re: another possible plan.

Playing the Boon on Matt is fine with me as I’ll grow twice next turn anyways. I can still spread and set myself up to expand.

Doh, I just remembered - and keep making this mistake - energy generated by powers happens after paying for cards. So it’s setup for next turn, not this one. So all that cleverness will have to wait.

Reminder that I am playing Tidal Boon, which lets a target other Spirit gain 2 energy and push 1 Town and up to 2 Dahan from a land they have presence in, in case that affects how anyone else wants to place their presence. But it fires during Slow, so it won’t affect what the Invaders do this turn.

@Juan_Raigada, I think we’re just waiting on your Spirit Phase stuff at this point and then we’ll be done with the phase unless anyone wants to change plans based on that info.

I use the grow presence option, putting new presence in A1 and A7. Both taken from the top row so I gain 2 energy.

No card plays yet.

In other news, tomorrow I’m off for the weekend to a no-internet refuge. Soonest I will be able to play (other than tonight) will be Sunday night.

I think I can use this to setup my next turn.

Sorry, just to clarify: you haven’t picked your card yet, or you’re choosing not to play any this turn?

I am choosing not to play any this turn, yes.

Ok, cool. With a lot of spirits I’d be like “…why?” but Thunderspeaker does seem to need some setup.

With that I believe we are ready for…

Fast Power Phase
Here is the current board state (note that I retconned my initial presence placement as I mentioned earlier)

Elements:
I have 3 Moon, 1 Air, 2 Water, 1 Earth.
@Matt_W has 2 Moon, 1 Fire, 2 Air, 1 Earth, 1 Animal (or whatever the red clawmarks is called)
@rowe33 has 2 Sun, 1 Moon, 1 Plant
@Juan_Raigada has the 1 ongoing Air from his board.

Fast Powers by player:
I have:
Call of the Deeps, targeting a Coastal space at range 0. It will let me Gather 1 Explorer. If the target is an Ocean space, I may Gather a second Explorer.
(Innate) Pound Ships to Splinters, targeting a Coastal space at range 0. I only have the elements for the first rank, for 1 Fear.

@Matt_W has:
Dreams of the Dahan, targeting any space at range 2. It will either gather up to 2 Dahan, or if the target space has Towns/Cities, generate 1 Fear per Dahan in that space, maximum 3.
(Innate) Spirits May Yet Dream, at level 1, which turns one Fear card, earned or not earned, face up.
(Innate) Night Terrors, at level 2, which generates 2 fear in a space with Invaders at range 0.

Neither @rowe33 nor @Juan_Raigada have Fast Powers this turn.

It seems safe to just add the fear-specific powers right now (3 in total, leaving 13 to go). @Matt_W, how are you using Dreams of the Dahan? I was originally going to use Call of the Deep to Gather the explorer out of NE space 5, but I just realized that I can’t do that if I’m positioned with the town. I think I’d rather Drown the town than Gather that particular explorer, so I’m thinking targetting the SW ocean and eating the explorer from that coastal wetland - I could get two in SE, but I assume you have plans for that one with your presence, Matt?

Not plans so much as a realization that one of my innates and two of my uniques require co-location with invaders, so I’m working on doing that. But yeah, it’s probably to our advantage to let the invaders build on SE1 so I can put the fear of… well, me… in them.

I’ll target Dreams for fear generation at SE7.

OTOH, being able to clear the SE wetlands prior to build isn’t a bad idea.

Under most circumstances, I’d be all over stopping builds before they happen, and if you were planning to use Predatory Nightmares somewhere else, I can totally do that. On the other hand, leaving it would mean you could use Predatory Nightmares to frighten the new Town into drowning themselves, which is 2 fear from you and 1 fear from the Town dying, plus 2 health of four towards my special where I can eat drowned Invaders for Energy. And then the Dahan will kill that solitary Explorer during Ravage next turn, barring unforeseen events. So I think that seems pretty good?