Splice: Spoiler Thread

Hellboy will fight you. (Although I saw Splice a long time ago, and don’t remember being very impressed by it, although I don’t really remember why).

In addition to budget issues (“Dren was always going to be a very expensive visual effect to accomplish,” said Natali), much of this long delay was due to a controversial yet key story element: “Primarily, it was the fact Adrien Brody’s character has sex with the creature,” the filmmaker said. “That was a deal breaker for a lot of people.”

However, instead of simply removing the scene, Natali doubled down: “It was in the contract that the scene could not be cut because I was so fearful that it would be, even after it was finished,” he said. “It was the raison d’etre of the movie to me; not just because it’s sensational but because I felt like if we’re going to tell a 21st-century retelling of Frankenstein, we need to push it into the 21st century. This was a story about life and birth — and sex was always going to be part of that equation. To dance around it would’ve been cowardly. That’s what excited me.”

“The French were like, why not?,” Natali said of how Gaumont embraced the film’s provocative moments.

If only Natali had made Poor Things instead, he’d be hailed as ahead of his time! : )