Spotify, Prodigy, Grooveshark etc

That’s perfect. Thanks a bunch!

At this point though, I might just have to try all of them & return with the results.

Subsonic also lets you stream video from your own hard drive as well. The app works like a champ on my EVO. :) I totally loooooooooooooooooooove Subsonic.

You can also set it up for others users to use as well. I set up an account for my girlfriend so she can also stream my music and videos. Works damned well. :)

I’m getting ready to cancel my Spotify subscription. Things that I didn’t like about it:

1. $10/month. That is kind of steep for a glorified radio station. The convenience is nice, but not worth 3x the cost of Pandora.

2. The Android app is annoying. It has a widget, but it is pointless, because it mostly just launches the full app to log me in and allow me to select a playlist. Stupid thing, just log me in the background and start playing the last playlist that I had selected!

3. Too many of the songs (at least out of the crappy pop music that I’ve currently been listening to) are radio edits. There’s nothing I like more than random <byonk!>s and <ping!>s in my music.

I have a question about Spotify: Is there an obvious way to do more music discovery? Unlike Pandora, where I can just set up a Station based on a song, composer, or artist I like, it seems that Spotify is all about shared playlists. If I don’t have a lot of friends whose music I like listening, then I don’t find that I’m hearing anything other than the Spotify-shared playlists (Top 100). Which is great for popular music, but means I’m not finding anything new.

I think Spotify’s library is huge, and it’s rare that I can stump it, but without easier music discovery, I actually think I prefer Pandora. So I’m wondering if I’m missing something obvious.

You can look at related artists or listen to an “artist radio” which is sort of like pandora.

I’ve been alternately experimenting with Spotibot and Spotiseek.

Hey y’all, have y’all seen the new Pandora interface? I’m a PandoraOne subscriber, so it gave me the option today to try the new site, and I LOVE it, so I’m wondering if any of y’all have able to see it too.

I’m impressed with Spotify so far, as i listen to alternative and “not-so-pop” stuff alot. You can even find much fairly unknown scandinavian folk there, which i enjoy while taking beers :)

Valkyrend Varieté
Tenhi
Hednigarna

To name a few.

Just put a Squeezebox system in my house and I love it. I am going to subscribe to a streaming service (not Sirius) and was wondering if there was a preference between Pandora and Slacker both of which I like.

As a user of both, Pandora by a country mile.

I use Spotify with my Squeezebox Touch. The combination is the best electronic purchase I have made in quite awhile.

Why does Spotify insist that I have a Facebook account to even register? Instant customer loss there. I realize I may be the only schmo in the world who still doesn’t have a Facebook account, but I really do not have any use for one and I certainly resent the idea that I may now need one just to be able to give a company my money.

Looks like Pandora will continue to be my main music source on the interwebs.

Yeah, mine too. Tried Spotify for two months, hated it.

I don’t use it, but I thought Pandora was just essentially streaming radio. You pick a band or a song and they pick songs that sound generally like that one? I suppose that works for someone who just wants to hear “music”. Not really useful for when you want something specific. The two services aren’t really comparable in that way.

Pandora is a “music discovery service” that helps you find new artists based on artists you like, it’s not supposed to be for specific songs or artists. For that, Grooveshark is the way to go, in my opinion.

Yeah, I really prefer Pandora. I don’t want to be bothered with building my own playlists, I like putting in an artist and being served music that sounds like it.

Also Pandora’s advertisements are dramatically less intrusive than Spotify’s. Spotify must play like 10 minutes of ads every hour, and they’re annoying as hell.

Not to be a repetitive pimp but MOG allows you to both go straight to an artist/album/song and listen to it and then also allows you to turn on MOG Radio. This is similar to Pandora - it plays other songs by the same artist or by similar artists depending on an on-screen slider.

No idea about their ads though. I do the $10/month and listen on my iPhone and Android tablet.

Grooveshark does that radio thingy too, FYI. ;-)

So what’s the big deal about spotify? Do they have a larger selection of less popular music, maybe? Everybody was so excited when it finally released in the USA, and I just don’t see why.

It really comes down to personal preference, like Gmail vs. Hotmail. Spotify has a somewhat better selection I’ve found. I like Spotify’s playlisting and UI better, and Spotify is way better in consistency of tagging…GS tends to be all over the place, but Spotify has some bad tagging as well. Both have terrible, annoying ads unless you pay the monthly fee.

It’s really six of one, half a dozen of the other.