Squad - Midway Between Battlefield and ARMA

I predict great things

That took a sec to parse, but the new PLA faction has a helo that can hold like 20+ players.

Trade Offer:

You recieve - 1 TOW missile
I receieve - 35 enemy tickets

I am always super leery of jumping in a helo at the start of the game, as you never know how good the pilot is at the start of a game.

Oh, boy, the door to hell cracks open. The original leadership was no DLC ever, but now Tencent has a stake in them.

Emotes? Hahahaha. Fortnite dances, teabagging, and animated halos up next.

OWI just announced a massive overhaul to infantry combat. It’s sweeping and sounds exciting. Squad has always split the difference between Battlefield and Arma, and this sounds like it wants to swing the gunplay a lot more toward the Arma side.

I need to fire this up again.

Oh, this is really cool. This is the PIP sight they’re talking about. It’s been in dev for years, but they feel it’s ready. It’s designed to not only be more realistic, but it nerfs opitcs a bit in that you can’t instazoom and lock onto a target.

This breakdown of the upcoming suppression model – for version 5.0 which just got a release date of June 21st! – looks pretty nifty to me (bolding mine):

Finally a game where I can use an M249 the way it’s supposed to be used?

That was always a massive problem, where you would be laying down massive amounts of suppression from a SAW and one of the dudes you’re suppressing lines you up in his ACOG and one-taps you. Every. Single. Time.

Yeah, those changes seem really big, and good, if they work.

Do any of the current crop of first-person “milsim” shooters model suppression in any way? Am I correct that there’s no attempt to model it in the latest Battlefields and Calls of Duty? That’s it’s pretty much only in the domain of wargamers at this point?

I find it fascinating that such a fundamental part of modern warfare is entirely absent from the most popular simulations of that warfare. And I’m guessing it’s not because no game developers have figured out how to model it, but because most players don’t want it. Everyone wants to be the Hollywood action hero and not the soldier simply doing his role in the larger effort, so why bother modeling an element like human mortality and the fear of death?

Battlefield has had suppression in the past. I think since BF4 tbh, but I might be misremembering. CoD sort of has it in that if you take a bullet it affects your view of the action. It gets more serious the more hurt you become. That said, it also doesn’t affect you if the bullets don’t connect.

Are you playing Squad @tomchick? I’ve played Hell Let Loose, but not Squad. Somewhat similar games…

I’ve attempted in the past, but didn’t get very far. Same with Hell Let Loose. Me and another friend decided to sample Hell Let Loose one day, but we had no idea what we were doing and we didn’t take the time to figure it out. So we just threw grenades at each other and then uninstalled.

But I have it in my head that I might give Squad 5.0 a go when it goes live next week, with the understanding that it’s going to take some time to learn first. Do you play Squad? Is anyone here a regular player?

That’s the major issue. If you put too much realism it turns off the player base that expects certain things. The devs are constantly trying to find a balance. A lot of these changes are welcome by the original Squad community, except the concern is that the devs took too long to get there.

Karmakut was the biggest Squad player on YouTube for years, by far. He created SquadOps. He even assembled a mod team that increased suppression (and a lot of other things), except the updates to the game kept breaking the SDK. He finally decamped for his own hardcore version of Arma about a year or two ago. But he’s like, “Yeah, this sounds great, except all the folks who wanted this have left by now.”

I own both games, but only really put any time into HLL, mainly because I felt like that was a bit simpler in its execution mainly due to the WWII setting. Dude with a rifle is easy to understand and play as in a more realistic setting.

I could be convinced to play this when I get back from vacation though. I’m out of town later today until next Friday. I’m also going up to visit @Chappers next Saturday before he leaves the country.

I believe Hell Let Loose has suppression mechanics built in. Squad kind of did too, but not to the level that you would expect. The suppression from squad was much more about using grenades/mortars/smoke etc.

I would love to play Squad sometime with people, it really is a great game for a group of 4-5 people to play, as you can usually create your own squad and spend the match running around together.

Perhaps Post Scriptum as well.

It is a shame that it went away in the Battlefield series.

Moidawg probably the biggest Squad YouTuber now, and he just postedt his

TLDW

He is sold on the updates.

The combat does look pretty damn good.