SRPGs/Squad-level Turn Based Strategy Games - Dying for some

Ogre Battle 64!

What a game! One of the N64’s best titles. I’d put it in the top 3. Day one on VC, for sure.

FFTA2 is a pretty cool game, but it just moved so slow. It felt unresponsive and clunky. Battles took too long and I always felt like much of that time was wasted I loved the structure though; story was toilet paper but whatever. Put in FFTA2 with Disgaea PSP’s speed and responsiveness (it really is a perfect+ port, can’t even say that bout FFT PSP) and you have a brilliant game.

Front Mission 4 is probably a better game, once you get far enough in.

Front Mission 3 is much more accessible and engaging, especially from the start, but suffers a bit from a small party limit, and a bit too much reliance on randomness.

I enjoyed both.

Since people are suggesting old stuff anyways… Disciples 2! Disciples 1 if your eyes don’t bleed easily. Incubation.

Whoop!

The Disciples game turn kinda same-y for me. Build up, beat that guy. Avooid that guy, get stronger, then beat that guy. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy them and I am sure I will pick up III when it comes out, but I find them to have less strategery than I would like.

Ok, I’ll go with 4 since it is cheaper and probably looks a lot better. Thanks.

Yeah, I liked FM4 quite a bit.

I think Front Mission 3 is significantly better, at least than the fairly early stuff I’ve played in FM4. However, neither of them really satisfy an SRPG itch for me because so much critical stuff is entirely random in the Front Mission games - i.e., all of the special powers, what parts of enemy mechs are targetted (well, there the weapon type does tweak it a bit), etc. You basically get a) loading out the mechs (fun, admittedly) and b) choosing where to move and who to shoot.

Come to think of it, I think Fire Emblem has about as much control (if that), but somehow it seems a lot more strategic to me.

Huh? You can target places pretty effectively in FM4. Just use a rifle or a bazooka instead of the silly SMG or shotgun…

This is one of those places that FM4 is actually better than 3. As Miramon points out, you get the ability to target limbs and such with particular weapons, and there are more active/set and less randomly activated abilities (though the latter are still there.)

I find the comparison to Fire Emblem a bit odd; I tend to find the FE games a bit too Chess Puzzle-esque for my liking, while Front Mission often seems more open to experimentation.

Agreed 110%.

Well, I just meant that Fire Emblem’s special abilities are almost entirely passive. And didn’t play very far into FM4, as it a) wasn’t compelling me, and b) trashed me in an early mission and I think I realized I was going to have to take some entirely different approach that I didn’t feel like doing just then. (Which is usually a death knell for me ever going any further in a game.)

I do remember discovering in some very low numbered mission that just striding out there and fighting (as it seems you are encouraged to do in the first mission or two) is a bad idea. But this made me like the game more, rather than less, as there is nothing sillier than a “strategy” game that you can win without strategy. I’m not saying the FM4 AI is brilliant, it can do dumb things and sometimes seems to sort of slack off, but it’s often better than utterly stupid, which is saying something.

That sucks - so you had to drag reluctant friends to play that game in hotseat? We all had a blast on Space Crusade, even fights over who was going to play which faction etc…ah good days…

And i just noticed no one has mentioned the classic trail blazing Laser Squad!:

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been playing Jeanne d’Arc and it’s pretty decent all around. I’m not sure if the story’s as good as FFT’s though.

I also tried Zoids Assault for the 360, and let me warn you away from it. The game’s simply awful. It’s obviously a low budget game because it has no CGI whatsoever and the entire story is told in 15 minute blocks of text that’s simultaneously narrated, interspersed by simple illustrations.

The gameplay’s a joke. I was expecting something like Missionforce Cyberstorm but instead what I’ve experienced was similar to perhaps the earliest missions of Ogre Tactics, but it never gets any more complex than that.

So I bought this from Gamersgate using a credit card; with a receipt for $29 US.
Our credit card statement came and Paynova (the people processing the card charges for Gamersgate) had entered it as a “cash advance” with a $10 surcharge from our card company. Called the company who said to take it up with Paynova; after several phone calls we managed to get them to drop the charge. Has this charge-it-as cash-advance happened to anyone else using Gamersgate?

I don’t know if you’ve ever visited the RPG Codex or not, but there’s a list of them here.

Final Fantasy Tactics is available as a $10 download on the PlayStation Network. Is this the same as the original North American PSOne version, or does it include any of the changes from the recent PSP port, where they rebalanced some of the battles and changed the translation?

For me FFT was the best FF game by a long shot, both in story and gameplay.

God I put a lot of hours into that game.

Same as the original PSOne.