Star Renegades by the Halcyon 6 guy

I really dug Halcyon 6, as it hit a lot of the little levels that Star Control left in my brain (not all of them, mind you, but several!), but after a couple of longer runs ended in crash-and-burn scenarios, I took a break that turned into forever. Still really interested to see what’s next from these guys, so I’ll at least keep an eye out for reviews here!

Apparently, the storyline spans multiple generations and you can unlock descendants of characters as playable through relationship development (as well as character perks and combo attacks).

Also didn’t recall that this had a roguelite nature to it. Seems like something of an Into the Breach vibe. There’s an overarching story that unfolds over many runs (2-3 hours each). 13 classes. Dozens of playable characters. An adversary system where opponents evolve.

Holy crap, this looks great. Wishlisted!

First time seeing this thread.
And for a few seconds there, I thought that @KristiGaines was back.
:-(

There are streamers playing a pre-release build and it looks phenomenal.

Just noticed this thread and for a moment I thought we were getting a new entry, or maybe revision of the old SSI game Renegade: The Battle for Jacob’s Star. OK maybe nobody remembers that, this Wikipedia page is certainly bare bones enough, but it was a pretty great game! That I now realize has absolutely nothing to do with this other game, which uh, hopefully will also be pretty good.

Try the beta!

Full game releases in 6 days, I hope @KristiGaines wherever she is gets a chance to play it.

The beta only lets you try the tutorial and one level of the proper game. Seems like it’ll be a very nice game, I like that there are unique enemies and stuff. Can’t wait til sept 8 :)

Sorry Razgon, I pulled your post over here from the wallet thread.

Is Star Renegades a sequel? It looks like a totally different game from the bits I have seen and played (beta). Is the greater game actually more like the 4X of Halycon? I was excited about the rogue-lite/ Dead Cells element here. If it is the latter, I think I am all in. I just have to decide if I wait for Switch since that sort of seems like the best place to play this. Do we know how delayed the Switch version is?

Not a sequel. It might take place in the same “universe” as Halcyon 6, but I’m not sure if that’s the case.

AFAIK, it has nothing to do with Halcyon 6. All turn-based. No 4x elements I’ve seen

I meant more as the next game that the developers made - sorry.

Whew. Ok, good deal. Now…do I wait for Switch or jump in now??? Hmmm.

No worries

This is on PC game pass if you have that

Really? Wasn’t expecting that

Indeed it is wonderful news.

I started playing as I am on vacation this week. I am a bit lost trying to discern how to read the information provided. Cannot tell yet which attacks affect armor, crits, etc even after going through the tutorial. I think there is just to much PINK everywhere! I really do not like the color scheme too much and it feels very busy on the eyes.

Looks like there is going to be a lot to learn from the way the attacks work and creating combos between different characters. I am also playing Facotorio Krastorio 2 Mod this week so I think this is a good game to switch back and forth.

Yeah, I had to do the tutorial twice. It’s not as hard as it seems at first though.

If an attack lands before a character/enemy gets their attack off, a crit happens. If you look at the character’s attacks you will see how much extra damage or effects will be applied. You can tell a crit will happen somehow by planning the attack and looking at the timeline.

Stagger is an affect most attacks have. I think you have to get a crit to apply it. It will delay the time that the enemy will act on the timeline. If you have pushed them fully off the timeline, they will BREAK for that round and not be able to attack. They might end up going early next round, though.

Every time you stagger an enemy the number of times they can be staggered goes down, but will go back up once they attack.

Just remember you can select an attack and see how much damage and stuff it will do before you execute your round. You can also do the same for the enemies.

Thanks, @Zenchess!

That helped me…I never processed that pushing them off the timeline was a break. I was thinking it happened when lowering their armor for some reason. I have to learn the icons on the characters attack screen next.