Star Ruler 2

I own the game and think I hid it from my library because it did not click with me. Felt too much a jumped-up version of Sins of a Solar Empire.

It is a unique and quite special game. Definitely worth your time.

You guys stop making me want to go back and play old games. Mods, plz delete this thread kthnx.

-Tom

Haven’t played in a while, but I believe pressure capacity is based on current population. Your population counter shows 6/8, so there’s room for growth. More population should solve the pressure cap issue.

The other option is to export the resource to another planet, one that you intend to build up to a higher tier. This is the option you’ll probably want to go with long-term.

I always thought pressure was super confusing. I think it should have been called a different word.

-Tom

This game, I bounced off of this game so hard and often, but ya’ll waxed so eloquent on it that I kept at it and then it all game together and glorioski! what a game!

I keep thinking that I want to see more innovation in games, but when I encounter innovative mechanics, like I had with SR2, I had to work some new mental muscles which gets harder as I get older. So I’d go back to the comfortable old slippers of same old 4x.

But SR2 convinced me to try on new slippers and keep them on and they made me dance to a new tune.

I know, right? This game is, like, from the last decade! Jeez.

So I made a few mistakes - kept repeat orders on while having spaceships queued sunk my economy quick!

But then I figured, what the heck, let’s go to war with these 4 warships. From the walkthrough, I had them size 20 (about 9K health), I get to my first system and declare war and what appears, but a 16K and 20k warship??? I was vastly outplayed by the AI. I guess the “size 200” isn’t nearly big enough to compete. BTW Cicobuff, in your playthrough when you do go to war, I didn’t see the type/size of ships you were building.

So while 9K ships may seem big - they are more than enough to clear out most remnants, they were way undersized. It makes me wonder, how might I detect what my neighbors have so that I can prepare?

I reverted back to a previous save and only built two ships this time and continue to crank out my economy, but as I’m about 1hr 30 min into this game, whereas Cicobuff says he’s at 36 min, either RNG is not being kind (way way too many food planets and level 1 planets that are not food are very rare) so not sure when if ever I’ll hit level 5.

This game is amazing. The detail and UI is simply one of the best designed games I’ve ever seen, so congrats to @Firgof for such great execution. It really is marvelous with how they present information at various zooms.

I made the mistake of looking at the diplomacy screens - and while I’m buying cards like crazy, these AI’s keep doing the “zeirtergest” (sp?) type of events and from the wording, they appear to be limited in active time and I keep wondering why they keep doing them if they are limited? I’ve voted a few down just to mess with them & get the rewards for doing so, but not sure what events I should be concerned about (another one was some sort of ‘art’ event). I have picked up a few named fleet and name planets and other diplomacy cards, there needs to be a guide for all these there are so many.

So much to learn as we’ll see if I can get this easy AI at some point.

Use the pause =)

Didn’t anything substantial ever come of the open sourcing of this? Big mods, patches, etc?

You can buy political cards that gives you vision over the enemy, great stuff.
Remember big ship needs big support, scale everything, the smaller ships pack a good punch.

I fired up the game last night to discover my custom ship designs were gone. SR2 is installed on my D: drive, but apparently it saves the ship designs (and saved games) on the C: drive. I lost them when formatting the drive while installing Windows 10. It’s not the end of the world, just something to keep in mind for anyone who wants to back up their customized designs.

I’m following @cicobuff 's excellent tutorial. I prefer to play at a relatively low resolution, 1280 x 800, and thus the UI hides from me the level requirements for a selected planet. I see that info is available under the community tab, but it would be nice to have it on the planet itself, even if I had to scroll down to see it. Is there any option to see this info?

I’d especially like that info when evaluating whether to colonize a planet. I don’t want to colonize it if I can’t bring it to level I or II. Maybe I’ll quickly memorize those requirements as I play?

Other than that, I’m quite enjoying it.

All normal planets have the same resource requirements to level up. You can see the requirements on the planet screen:

The right circled area shows the resources needed for each level. This particular planet is already importing the resources needed to reach level one. You can mouse over each icon, and a tooltip will show information on the resource needed or details on the resource being imported.

The left circled area shows the resources needed to reach the next level. Once again, you can mouse over each icon for more information on the resource type needed.

This screen may look different if you’re playing a mechanized race like Mono. Can’t remember offhand.

This is for Mono

Thanks, guys. @J_Thomas, the portion you’ve circled in the lower-right does not appear in lower resolutions like 1200 x 800. For some inexplicable reason, the game designers omit that info at lower resolutions. I can see it if I increase the resolution to 1920 x 1280, but the higher resolution makes everything a bit too small for my aging eyes.

So have you experimented much with influence-based victory? Or the score victory? I really enjoy the economic system, and while I enjoy space combat as much as anyone, I tend to prefer to play 4X games as a builder.

Edit: Actually, I think I might also like the tower-defense mode in the expansion. Have you tried that?

I think my biggest issue with the game was understanding what was going on in combat. I never kknow what kind or how many of the ship types I should build. I’m not sure if I was just missing feedback in the UI or it is just one of the more opaque systems in the game.

You and me both. There’s a lot of knobs to tune, even before research.

I have never experienced an Influence based victory myself ha. Always ended up gaining victories in war or getting wiped.

The Invasion mode (tower defence) is what I usually play. The rush to avoid not to get overwhelmed by the ever more powerful fleets is great for me.