Star Ruler 2

Thanks for your reply. Invasion mode does sound fun. That requires the DLC, yes? Also, do you ever “win” it, or do you just keep going until defeated?

The Invasion mode needs the DLC.

In invasion mode, you start off with 3 systems you have to defend. There is a defence base in each one of them. In addition, you have a home system.

In intervals, the AI will send a fleet of increasing strength to one of the 3 systems. If you defeat the fleet, you’ll get an orb where you can use to boost your economy.

Meanwhile you’ll go around colonizing the rest of the systems as normal.

You dont get to “win” because there is no win condition, you’re pretty much guaranteed to be wiped out by 70+ Strength enemies. I think the farthest I got was Strength 68 in easy mode. The AI ships at that strength are bigger than planets! They basically 1 shot most things you throw at them. But it’s fun getting there!

Did you ever make sense of the battles?

Yea, it gets very, very hectic.

Although you will kind of get a sense of what is happening once you intentionally start to build your ship designs in certain way.

Typically, I am not so concerned with the vanilla designs. I start to take notice of how effective my weapons are when I start to specifically design against the AI’s powered up ships.

This happens in Invasion mode, because the enemy gets extremely powerful, I’m forced to start utilizing things like shielded starbases, spinal mounts, particle lances, drones etc.

And because I designed them specifically, I slow down the game speed to take note of how effective the weapon systems are in the new design.

So I think that helps. In a counter intuitive way, the Invasion mode actually encourages paying more attention to the battles. I would have thought that the hectic nature of the Invasion mode would discourage attention to battles!

This is pretty cool of them:

Welcome to a few years (?) ago. Shame a community patch hasn’t materialized - I dropped into the discord occasionally and sensed frustration with some of the base code design decisions. But yes, I think it is a very cool decision nonetheless.

I probably should have searched the thread, sorry.

It’s fine. All is forgiven, because any reason this thread gets bumped is valid as long as people get to see that this is a cool game.

Yes. An undervalued gem! It is sad when a game like this with innovative ideas that depart from the stereotypical 4x tropes sinks into obscurity.

Thanks, all, for the love. It still warms my heart to read folks are still enjoying and playing this game that we put half a decade into. Wish I could say that a Star Ruler 3 might emerge one day but, though not impossible, it’s just not in the cards presently. I have been working on a few graphics assets for the game very infrequently so, maybe, one day the game will have some decent-looking race art.

I’m still developing games, of course, with all the vim and vigor a one-man-army with nothing but pocket change can bring to the subject but I’m not sure when the game I’m working on would be ready to showcase here on QuarterToThree or if the forums would even be interested given it’s even more niche in genre than 4X/RTS (Horror Investigation RPG).

Wish I had the wherewithal to have replied several months ago but the pandemic in the US has had me laser-focused on survival and my finances aren’t in a great state. Reaper’s doing great though and last I heard GGLucas and Jon Michelseen were also doing alright. Just didn’t want to let the topic end, as it seems to be winding down to a conclusion, without thanking all of you for your support and feedback.

So: Thank you.

No, thank you. Star Ruler 2 remains one of those special games for me. I’m not saying it was perfect (what game is?) but it was unique and engaging and it really stands out from the crowd. As a matter of fact, one of my friends brought it up in conversation just this past weekend, reminiscing of our time playing it coop and how cool/innovative the game was. If Star Ruler 3 ever somehow happened, I’d be all over that.

Glad to see you made it out of last year in one piece. Hope this year is a little easier.

Paradox need to dump Stellaris and add Star Ruler 3 to their roster.

Sorry to respond to a post a year old, but I totally can relate to what you’re saying here. Seems an awkward phase to be in: I’m old enough to have played so many games I’m sick of the usual formulas and want something new, but learning new things definitely takes a lot more effort than it used to. I’m sure that’s partly age and partly life in general having a higher mental tax when you’re older and have more things to worry about.

Thank YOU for making such a unique game, glad to see you’re still kicking.

Oh you bet it will be interested.

Can’t wait, best wishes!

This would be a good outcome.

I played a game of SR2 just last week while the internet was down due to the winter storm. Still love it. If a sequel ever happens, I’ll be lining up for a copy.

Thank you for a great game, sir. I’ll be interested in anything you make, even if it’s in a genre I wouldn’t normally be interested in. Though Horror Investigation RPG sounds great. I don’t care for zombie games but I played the excellent Atom Zombie Smasher because it was made by Blendo Games. I don’t much care about Lovecraftian stuff but I loved Occult Chronicles by the great Vic Davis. And I’m not into horror, but if you make an horror investigation RPG, I’m in. Just say where and when. ;)

It plays a bit like a digital version of the Arkham Horror boardgame mashed up with mechanics and elements inspired by World of Horror, Darkest Dungeon, and The Consuming Shadow. There’s only about 20-50 minutes of playtime in it right now, though I’m expecting once I get Dungeons and Dungeon-based Mysteries in that playtime is going to go up significantly.

Looks like this.

If that sounds appealing to y’all, I guess I’d start building a thread for it here on QuarterToThree.

I don’t know that particular boardgame (maybe @tomchick does?) but I really like the look of that. And it all sounds appealing to me, even if the only influence I recognized there is Darkest Dungeon. Would you say it has a little bit of Cultist Simulator? Because I get this “vibe” from the screenshot that somehow reminds me of it.

Anyway, I certainly want to hear more. And I think more people here would find the concept appealing, for sure.