Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Yep!

The death of cable-cutting/streaming is going to be the overproliferation of shitty streaming networks and the exclusivization of content onto them.

When CBS, HBO, Showtime, Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Yahoo (they’re coming back via a deal with Hulu!), CW, TCM/Criteron, and probably a few more are all running $7-15/mo services simultaneously and TV co’s/movie studios are aggressively locking content to one streaming service at a time, it’s gonna cost more than cable ever did to get all the TV/movie content you want–and nevermind how ludicrously expensive it is to get even limited/shitty sports coverage streamed.

I am going to guess this is going to be what started the initial Klingon-Federation cold war/hostilities.

Actually, this has been announced. Bell bought the whole shebang, so the pilot will air on CTV, and subsequent episodes will air at the same time as in the US on Space (Canada’s version of SyFy). Streaming will then be done on CraveTV.

[quote=“JackBurton, post:184, topic:77660, full:true”]I am going to guess this is going to be what started the initial Klingon-Federation cold war/hostilities.
[/quote]

Given that they were really careful to stress they were going to heavily mess with both costumes/set designs and makeup for “classic imagery” or whatever, I think you might be spot on, Jack. I could easily see Fuller going a thoroughly non-canon route for Klingons (what with all the convoluted canon explanations for the visual switch b/w TOS and TNG) to take advantage of modern makeup/CGI techniques that would get hardcore lore wonks in a tizzy–hence the early warning signaling.

I hope they retcon the heck out of the lore just to mess with fans. Like the big reveal is that Klingons were actually another offshoot of the Vulcans all this time. Or Klingons created the Borg when Q visited them back in the day.

It also fits the time line right?
We know “something” happened in recent past before Kirk that caused the Klingons and the Federation to become belligerents. About 10 years before Kirk seems to fit.

If they make the Klingons the result of a horrible transporter mishap blending of humans and tribbles, I’m in.

Amazing how out-of-touch they can be, the execs in charge of this stuff. My response to something like this is to wait until the first season is over, and pirate the whole thing at once. To salve my conscience I might do a one-month subscription, but not actually watch the show that way. There’s just no way I’ll sit through that kind of ad load.

Yeah, I’m thinking along the same lines. I was already planning on doing a one month sub once the season was almost over, but I don’t want to watch ads.

They’ll have ads AND charge me for a paid service full of crap that’s all aimed at people older than me (and I’m old)? Wow. Guess I’ll just not use the one-week free trial until all of the episodes are up.

The high cost of streaming from the Federation? Klingons were tired of being nickel-and-dimed for their Shakespeare?

I actually love this. It would explain the mutual animosity between tribbles and Klingons.

(Also, how does Chrome’s spell-checker not have Klingons or tribbles? This is what happens when corporate people start making products instead of nerds.)

But…but they may have reruns of Matlock!

I agree. I’ll pass on it entirely unless I hear it’s really great. If so, I’ll wait until the season’s over and binge watch it by subbing for one month or getting the one-week trial if it’s still available.

Yes, I’ve wondered about that too. Right now a lot of people get HBO just for Game of Thrones. Starz has a couple of things we like, Ash vs. Evil Dead and Outlander. That’s $24/month combined for those two as a streaming service. Netflix is another $10? Amazon Prime is another $8 or so? That’s $42 per month right there.

I have said it before, but all these content providers are up for a shock when piracy rates skyrocket and they realise there is a reason content amalgamators exist. Nobody is going to pay $10/month for 25 different services to get a single piece of content from each. People that have been happy to stop pirating as streaming has come to represent an affordable, easy and legal alternative will slip back to their old ways with cries of “I’m not paying for yet another damn streaming provider!”

So some new information on the series

• it is a prequel, set in the original Trek universe (not Kelvinverse), at around the same time as the original show, just before the 5 year voyage.
  • does not feature the original characters other than as possible cameos. Will feature, in cameo, Winona Ryder reprising as Spock’s mother.
  • is set around a military incident that was referenced in the original show in passing.
  • has a female lead, but she is not a “captain” - is a lieutenant commander.
  • does seem like the show is centered around a black-ops unit.

Jeeze man, read the thread a little, huh? ;)

Sorry, I keep missing stuff in the new forum as I’m not sure how to resume where I left off in a thread.

By… Clicking on the thread title, same as you always have?

So no casting has been announced?

I think Anna Torv could be an excellent Lieutenant Commander.

Well that’s damn skippy then. I’m more than happy to watch the new Trek on Space. Let’s face it, Trek is why a channel like Space exists in the first place.

Still a little shaky on all of these “social statement” aspects to the show. That impulse was much of the pre-release hype over Voyager, too. A show that has not aged well, imo.

And I do remain concerned that there does not seem to be very much time for post-production in the show. I guess that means that the expensive stuff we see in The Expanse is not likely to make an appearance in Star Trek: Discovery.

What social statements, diversity? Isn’t that one of the primary foundations of the original series? Just look up Roddenberry’s thoughts on diversity and he spells it out pretty clear.

Here’s a quote attributed to him: "Star Trek was an attempt to say that humanity will reach maturity and wisdom on the day that it begins not just to tolerate, but take a special delight in differences in ideas and differences in life forms. If we cannot learn to actually enjoy those small differences, to take a positive delight in those small differences between our own kind, here on this planet, then we do not deserve to go out into space and meet the diversity that is almost certainly out there.”

If the characters are well written and realized, I’m not sure how a diverse crew is going to doom this series. If anything, ugly spaceships and cheap-looking productions values are probably more likely to do that. So lets hope they succeed on both fronts.

Honestly? I don’t care much – at all – about how “diverse” the cast is. It’s Trek so I assume that it will be to a great degree. It’s a given in the show. Move on.

When the show has gone past this as a “given” and instead talked it up and tried to put more of an emphasis on these aspects of its stars in terms of hype? That’s when Trek has failed more often than it has succeeded.

Frankly, I care far more about the plots and storyline of the 23rd Century than I do about the race, politics, religion, gender or sexual orientation of the characters in terms of how they relate to our early 21st century.