Star Trek: Infinite - New Trek Grand Strategy Game Thing

So:

Two thoughts on this, initially:

1. New Trek game, yay!
  2. It’s from Paradox, fuck.

What the hell even is it?

If you watch the trailer, there’s a map at the end that looks a LOT like Stellaris. So, strategy game, I’m guessing?

All right well, a Star Trek themed Stellaris might be cool, or I could just install those Trek mods I downloaded.

Its the Borg. Again.
sigh

Ah, just got a press release:

https://mailchi.mp/paradoxplaza/paradox-interactive-and-paramount-consumer-products-announce-a-new-grand-strategy-game-star-trek-infinite?e=f3babee5a8

Paradox Interactive and developer Nimble Giant Entertainment, under license from Paramount Consumer Products, today revealed Star Trek: Infinite , a grand strategy game based on the iconic sci-fi franchise. Set a few decades before Star Trek: The Next Generation , players will run an entire fleet within the Star Trek universe, commanding one of four major powers in the galaxy: the United Federation of Planets, Romulan Star Empire, Cardassian Union, or Klingon Empire. Star Trek: Infinite is coming to PC and macOS this Fall.

OMG I LOVE THE BORG I’M SO EXCITED! /sarcasm

I haven’t played any Paradox games, so maybe I don’t know enough, but I don’t get all the cynicism. The teaser was cool, and I love the idea of a Master of Orion 2/Star Wars Rebellion type game but with the Star Trek universe. And with the Borg as the enemies instead of the Altarans in MOO2. It all sounds like a fabulous idea.

Don’t ever lose that optimism, man.

I like Star Trek, like Paradox in general, and enjoy Stellaris in particular, so I see no reason not to be optimistic about this project. Fingers crossed.

I mean, I’m excited we’re getting another Trek game. That’s what, three in the past year? Kind of amazing.

This is paradox-published, not paradox-developed, if I’m reading the trailer right. So it’s pretty unlikely to be a Stellaris mod.

Is Paradox doing more than publishing? Not that I care, I’d love a Paradox developed Star Trek game too. Have always wanted something like a Birth of the Federation sequel.

There’s already a pretty popular Trek mod for Stellaris, so I wonder if it’ll be building upon that.

Since I can play Cardassians, I wanna especially make the new leader of the Union, Gul DuKitty.

And another fifteen in DLC! Will the AI be able to play this time? Tune in to find out!

spoiler: no

That’s actually marginally less interesting, but I’m still happy to wait and see what we end up with. I do agree with the overall Borg skepticism, but I’m hoping that focus is just marketing.

The Borg could be cool as Gladius-esque neutrals interfering with the Xs of the empires.

Definitely an NPC faction/force-of-nature like the Mongol Horde in Crusader Kings.

Age of Wonders 4 is a paradox game. Not really a harbinger of quality or DLC bloat.

Time to boot up Birth of the Federation again, lol