Star Trek: Infinite - New Trek Grand Strategy Game Thing

Trouble is, SFC 1 was always a little underbaked. What you’d ideally want is 2 or the standalone Orion Pirates one. Still, something is better than nothing and as an old SFB fan these are by far the closest thing to a really good PC implementation we ever got. Thanks for the heads-up.

Has anyone here ever purchased 2 through: Dynaverse.net ?

Edit: I found the older thread about it.

From what I remember of it, it was a copy of MoO 2, with great voice work, but with a few decisions that made it worse than MoO 2, using star lanes was probably the worst, since it meant much more babying of your fleets.

I am really going to hate staring at this title for the next couple of years and I’m hoping @BrianRubin will consider editing it. :-)

I’m sad everyone got to the Borg snark before I could chime in. But I’m really excited for this, a decent Star Trek 4X would be awesome.

And Paradox has such a wide selection of games that it’s not really fair to paint the whole company as a publisher based on a specific title or two…

It’s just the optimist in me. I hate seeing the negativity right in the topic title when we don’t even know anything about the game yet. Pessimism isn’t very Star Trek. :)

(Love ya, though, Brian!)

Reminds me of the old Microprose game Birth of the Federation (1999).

So how can the borg even exist in terms of the federation or other “local” empires at this point if this takes place before the next generation. IIRC the borg were not even aware of our existence until Q zapped the enterprise across the galaxy, at which point the borg became aware of our existence and decided to investigate.

In the old Trek game Birth of the Federation, the Borg were the big bad that appeared once enough time had passed. I assume they’ll use the same logic, that you and the other empires have expanded large enough for the Borg to become aware.

It would be good if they varied it a bit though, having different options like The Dominion from DS9, or even a few new baddies. Kinda getting sick of everything Trekkie being about the Borg, that’s why Resurgance was a pleasant suprise.

I have, it worked great but the buying experience was weeeeeeeird.

Yup, you remember correctly.

Fiiiiine.

Not that it matters since it’s not developed by Paradox, but the Stellaris AI is pretty good now. :)

We’re all still talking about what we imagine the game is going to be, right? Since all we have is a non gameplay trailer, or is there anything more tangible around?

Don’t even know if the announcement we have is right, game features Borg, says it’s from a time period when Borg weren’t around…

I’m not sure you can talk about “a time period when Borg weren’t around” when you’re talking about a show which has multiple timelines and mirror universes and so on, not to mention straight up retconning.

The “20 years before” timeframe doesn’t make sense for a Galaxy-class starship like you see in the trailer. So perhaps it starts 20 years before, but eventually you get to the point where the Borg appear a couple of decades later.

Thanks for the name change, Brian! There’s more than a couple of topics around here where I cringe every time I see the name, and glad it doesn’t have to be one of the Star Trek ones. :-)

Not really a comment on Stellaris specifically as the AI in 4x/GS games more generally, although good to hear, re: Stellaris. Perhaps when this game is seven years old.it can reach a similarly exalted state.

It’s a space grand strategy game so I’ll buy it. I even bought and enjoyed Polaris Sector.

I am quietly hopeful as I enjoyed BotF (though it was objectively bad in several ways). I would like to see the following in a space grand strategy:

1. Emphasis on exploration.
  2. Minimal micro
  3. Tech breakthroughs are truly revolutionary rather than incremental.
  4. Wars do not require endless management of invasion forces, and also are not super-decisive - more border struggles between big empires than existential total war.

I installed again last night to take another look at it since I never put much time into it when it was released, and yes the star lanes are annoying. It was especially annoying in this case since it boxed me in from expanding early on by putting a space monster and space dragon in systems nearby. The maps also seem kind of small.

There is a big mod site for Birth of the Federation:

It’s good, but it doesn’t fix the memory leak that grinds the game to a stop after a few hours though.

IIUC their all-in-one mod download includes to game itself.

Name a bad Paradox developed game!

(I know later in the thread we find out it’s Paradox published, but still…)

I am hyped, though I need more data. We don’t even know which Paradox Grand Strategy game it’ll be ripping off. Might even be Crusader Kings! Their twitter account says: Boldly going toward Picard Day on June 16 for the full reveal.

Note: I’ll concede that Paradox-published Grand Strategy games are usually terrible. Like that one that used the EU2 engine, or that other one.

The HOI game they did under that program was pretty good, if I remember right.

Regardless, Paradox as a publisher has changed a lot over the years and seem to have settled on publishing fewer but higher quality titles.