Star Trek, the rewatch, continued. TNG

I disagree. Because the first pic is data. The second pic is Mark Zuckerberg. He was never in a TNG episode!

TNG was produced in a weird time when everything was being mastered on VHS tape. Even though the series was shot on film, it was later edited and transferred to tape, and that’s when the effects were added.

Part of the reason the remaster was such a monumental and expensive piece of work is that they fished out all the original film cannisters, and literally re-edited all the episodes one by one. They then cleaned up the film and colors, and added in CG.

Between the sheer expense and time consumed, when the remaster didn’t sell well it sank the DS9 remaster.

Of course, it should also be mentioned that Paramount had been selling umpteen versions of TNG on VHS and DVD to that point, and that the pricetag of the remaster was like $100+ a season, which was a ridiculous proposition by that point of the home video market.

This is sad.

Opinions and all that, but I do not like the new CG VFX in the original series. I don’t mind “cleaning up” shots, but I dislike changing the actual look of scenes. Like, that’s not even the same planet in that first comparison. I think the 60’s era effects fit the overall budget/look of the rest of the show and it’s weird when modern CG effects are in the same episode with cardboard sets, painted cave walls, and goofy lighting.

But the Doomsday Device episode remaster was awesome. At least to me.

OTOH, I hate it when the ship fires at a target thousands of kilometers away… and the phaser beams diverge. POINT THEM TOGETHER DAMN IT! Yet they are close and parallel when they strike.

I remember liking that first Engineering Chief and wondered why they never had a principle cast member in mind for a role so important to Star Trek. Instead we’ve to a really crowded Bridge. I mean, just what was Worf’s job originally? He kind of wanders around and takes over when someone else leaves the bridge.

http://nerdlunch.net/article/2014/12/back-of-the-bridge-the-relief-bridge-officer/

“Where No One Has Gone Before”

Man, this was great. First of all, I like that since the first episode, Picard and Riker have had this slight… tension when they disagree with one another, an irritation that they both feel, that the audience feel, but that they both know is necessary. I had forgotten about this, since it disappears in later seasons I think. I’m really enjoying it here. Riker doesn’t know about handing their engines over to some hot shot engineer being sent by Starfleet to improve their engines. Chief Engineer Argyle agrees with him that the specs sent over are nonsense and won’t do anything.

Hey woah, so the old Chief Engineer lost her job? I wonder if it was losing her engine room to “The Boy”, or being AWOL last week when Picard really wanted Engineering to report?

Kosinski shows up and chews the scenery to brilliant effect. I really like his role here. His assistant is an alien with 3 fat fingers on each hand, a ridge on his forehead, and human-like male pattern baldness.

They end up past our galaxy, and past the next galaxy, and into a 3rd galaxy! Strangely, it would only take them 300 years to get home at maximum Warp, according to Geordi. Wasn’t Voyager going to take 50 years to get home just from the other end of our own galaxy? I guess maybe there isn’t that much distance between these galaxies and the Milky way. It’s possible. It’s consistent, kind of. Or it could be.

I really enjoyed this one. Later when people’s thoughts become reality, Picard got to see his mother. And some random crew members got to see some pretty neat things, like play Mozart in a concert.

The feeling of truly breaching new frontiers is very strong in this episode. I loved it back when I was a kid, and I still felt that wonder again this time.

Final notes: I love how Picard goes “Why is The Boy here?” with such supreme annoyance. And I loved the moment when the Traveler asked Kominski to sit down at the console to help him get them home. Heehee! The look on his face.

Maybe warp works better when you don’t have a lot of matter to warp so you fly faster through the dark space between galaxies?..

One thing I forgot to mention last night about Where No One Has Gone Before is that we get to see Worf and Yar’s pets. Worf had a childhood pet that was a boar with some horns attached to it. And Yar had a kitty kat she used to pet before the rape gangs found her.

I can see that these rape gangs are like a season long arc for Yar. Hopefully we’ll find out more later and there’s a payoff of some kind.

Overall, I’m surprised so far at how competent she’s shown to be. In the Ferengi episode Last Outpost she’s shown to take no shit and be good at her job. This is contrasted in my head with how often Worf will get his ass kicked later when he’s head of Security, but I guess we’ll get to that.

You just enjoy typing “rape gang”, don’t you?

Actually I had that thought towards the writers. I found the whole thing quite distasteful. But if they’re going to bring it up over and over, I hope it’s going somewhere.

Prepare to be underwhelmed!

Edit: all right, ejecting the warp core now.

I don’t get the whole Yar storyline. Can we talk about it now or should we wait for Golgothan episode?

Are you meaning to include the whole time travel and Romulan daughter thing as well?

No, just the first season. I understand that the whole season was if not filmed then at least written before the series started. So it’s not like Tasha Yar has failed to impress viewers. Did the actress signed up for just one season? Cause this whole thing with rape gangs seemed like an aborted arc that was planned for later seasons.

I don’t know how much they were thinking of character arcs. I feel like the whole rape gang thing was just a lazy writing shortcut to give her character some kind of edge. Could be wrong.

Didn’t Denise Crosby want to leave because she felt her character wasn’t getting enough screen time? Or was she forced out by the showrunners?

Well, it couldn’t have been too bad, since she was able to approach them later in Season 3, which later spawned one of the better reoccurring villains of Star Trek.