Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - Reconsidered

I’ve really been looking forward to this. It’s time to go back and rewatch Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

The one directed by William Shatner.

No…

This is the one that goes from boring to ridiculous in sixty seconds, right?

God why?

It’s got a smattering of nice character moments and a few funny bits, but little else to recommend it. I’d still rather watch it than sit through TMP, though, to say nothing of movies after the first 6.

Why does God need a movie?

I was first introduced to Star Trek through The Next Generation. I’d occasionally seen some Star Trek Original Series on in re-runs but didn’t really watch it seriously. I finally watched The extended cut of the Motion Picture and was very bored by it, and kind of classified Original Series Trek as “boring” in my mind. But then I happened to watch Star Trek V next, and it completely enraptured me. It strongly emphasized the relationship between Kirk, Bones and Spock. I finally understood why Classic Trek was appealing. I really liked these characters! And Star Trek V did a MUCH better job of showing me that then The Motion Picture did.

And I still remember when the Enterprise was going to the center of the galaxy to meet God. Seldom has a movie ever made me feel that strong a sense of curiosity in my life. I know that can’t be replicated on a re-watch, but I still remember that intense feeling of curiosity like I’d never felt before in my life up to that point.

Well I guess with that kind of nostalgia for it, I can’t blame you. Just be prepared for those of us who worked through Star Trek in order have a loooooot of hate going on for this one.

Hate? A bit strong. More like disgust and disdain.

What… would… a fan need… withthismovie?

Whatever rows your boat…

In all honesty, this is not a great movie. I did recently read the novelization for it, and it filled in a bunch of holes. Of course, this would have made the end running time like 3 hours and tripled the budget, so what can you do.

Thing is, that’s true of a lot of them. Personally when I watch Star Trek movies it’s 2, 3 (maybe), 4, 6, and maybe the first half of First Contact (drunk Troi good, borg queen bad).

Yeah I saw what they were going for, but this is easily the worst of the original cast films. That was my opinion the first time I watched it a few years back, and that remains unchanged.

I say this because while some of the other films didn’t quite reach what they aimed for, they do have particular strengths. TMP has a deliberate pacing and focus that, while at times dragging, has a very clear goals. And it mostly hits them, if not a complete success. 3 has a story arc and narrative focus that, while inferior to 2 & 4, and certainly hampered by sets, its focus on characters works.

5 just lacks the high concept or character elements of even 1&3. It starts off poorly, and gets worse. It’s the one I least enjoy.

Exactly. If it had a great ending I could forgive the boredom in the beginning.

My wife and I watched 3, 4, and 5 yesterday (this is her first time for any of them!) I probably hadn’t seen 5 in 20+ years and had forgotten some of it. I genuinely enjoyed a lot of the character moments between Spock, McCoy and Kirk, but the overall story is a complete mess just like I remember.

Your pain runs deep, share it with me.

I will admit the best thing about this movie is the memes.

I’ll be tuning in tonight. I suspect I’ll like it about as much as I did when I last saw it.

This forum needs a like button.

“Go Climb a Rock”

This movie was a huge deal for my first summer working at my local movie theater. I guess it was 3 years since the last movie and the Trekkies were jonesing. We had posters, standees, and trailers for months prior. Everyone was so psyched. I was 14 and this was going to be my first Trek theater experience (all others being served by HBO).

We had a midnight preview for employees. The results were…laughable. Meaning, most of us were laughing at the movie and I didn’t think we were supposed to be. Opening night confirmed my suspicions. Nerds were fucking pissed.