Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

If needing an objective opinion is a prerequisite for participating in this thread, I guess both you and every Stardock employee is leaving now? No, of course you aren’t, because being “objective” doesn’t have anything to do with it.

The other thread is for discussing the legal issues. This thread is for discussing the game. As a publisher it’s totally inappropriate for you to try to police this thread like this.

Fair enough, but then again, I think it’s worth making sure that lurkers know that the sudden influx of “I’m concerned” people have an axe to grind. If you have a problem with that, I think there’s a report button.

To reiterate what I said:

People like what they like.

I don’t pretend to be objective. That is the difference. People know my biases.

I don’t read the other thread. But if stuff from there is being dragged in here then that’s essentially against forum rules.

Well said.

But I could do this if I were so inclined, yes? Because I’m an exploration for exploration’s sake kind of guy. I mean, Mass Effect isn’t really “about” exploration but I took every opportunity the game gave me to explore.

I seem to recall about 900,000 posts in the Battlefront 2 threads with people who had never played the game weighing in on all manner of things.

This is shockingly tame and on topic in comparison.

The idea that we shouldn’t discuss on topic reviews of a releasing game is ludicrous.

Most definitely you can. There’s a lot of side quests, ruins, etc. out there. But there are also lots and lots of rocks in space (like, the Genesis moon BEFORE Genesis).

I haven’t seen anyone suggest that. But let’s look at it this way, imagine if we had two Star Citizen threads on QT3. One about the game and one that was filled with the drama.

Now, imagine if on the one that was purely about gameplay Derek Smart showed up and started posting concerns on gameplay based on a cherry-picked preview and causing him to not be sure if he was going to buy the final game.

I think most people would agree that such comments would be pretty disingenuous. Derek, god bless him, isn’t going to like Star Citizen and isn’t going to be buying it. Unlike a couple posters here, I highly doubt he would ever go into some thread acting like a concerned, neutral potential buyer.

I’m not a moderator and Josh and Juan, for example, are obviously free to post whatever they like here. Just like I’m free to opine that their “concerns” are more likely originating with their own biases that have nothing to do with the game.

For all we know, the game will come out and people won’t like it. That is the nature of games. I’m obviosuly hopeful that most people will based on the feedback we’ve gotten. But you never know.

If you didn’t like Star Control II, you probably won’t like Star Control: Origins. We’ve tried to keep the gameplay elements that people loved (strong emphasis on story, strong emphasis on interesting characters to meet, your starship is your character, your choices matter but in subtle ways) while re-designing the elements that people didn’t like (Super-Melee could get pretty tedious, the planet exploration could also get pretty tedious, pacing and dead-end issues, removal of a doom clock, etc.). But it is, at its core, a Star Control game.

Yeah, but like Mass Effect, don’t expect tons of hand-crafted planets out in the black. Not that they might not be interesting, mind you.

The distance your lander picks up minerals is based on your lander’s tech. At the start, you have to run over the minerals. But over the course of the game, you can upgrade your lander to obtain enhanced collectors which increased the range in which your lander captures concentrated resources.

Though, that’s a trade-off. If you equip the enhanced collector you aren’t equipping an extra fuel pod or the stun gun or the heat shield or the armor or the toxic collector or other things (or as many of those others things depending on whether they are things that stack).

In my style of play, I’m interested in getting on and off the planets quickly (I’m not remotely a completist). So I generally don’t engage with enemies that might be there, I don’t hunt the animals, I only land on planets with high-value minerals. But that’s just me and that choice means I spend more time doing side-quests to get money to upgrade my fleet so that I can go deeper into the sector.

The reason for jumping is that on some of the more valuable planets, you can’t stay on them for long without taking damage and they have a lot of cliffs. Without jumping, it will take you a lot more time to get around.

My style of keyboard use prevents me from strafing like I should but keep in mind, the purpose of landing on planets isn’t to kill things or do jump puzzles. It is to acquire high value resources / find a quest giver/destination / find something of interest (a relic or a crashed ship or a something that forwards the story).

That sort of thing doesn’t bother me. What most people call “tedious wandering around empty planets” I call “pioneering.”

The BF 2 thread was basically the Fuck EA swarm (which I am being at least a little intentionally pejorative here) who had not played the game telling other people (me included) who had actually played the game and enjoyed it that we were wrong how it actually sucked. Often by quoting reddit posts as gospel that were also clearly written about other people who didn’t actually know how the game works.

I am not advocating that this is generally a great use of anyone’s time or sanity, but the idea that anything in this thread is beyond normal (let alone forum rule breaking) is ludicrous.

We lost beloved forum members over Tempest!

Read those 200ish posts and realize this is the sane polite version of this place.

I think we are both on the same page that this thread is pretty high quality. I’ll just point you back to my previous responses so that i don’t bore others with a repeat of what I’ve already said.

As I think you are aware, I’m quite familiar with how ugly this forum can get at times. This thread, so far, represents arguably a template of how controversy can be handled – one thread for those who wish to indulge in drama and one for people who want to talk about the game.

The BF2 thread might have been better to have two threads: BF2 - Gametalk thread and BF2 - Fuck EA swarm thread.

I haven’t checked the BF5 thread. Should I dare?

Dunno, haven’t played it yet. My friends like it. I feel like the internet is required to declare it hates BF games and then buy like 100 million copies.

Preach Brother Dive! I loved the Mako.

I also explored every single planet in the Mass Effect trilogy. But if Star Control: Origins is like Star Control 2, this is on a completely different scale. I think I probably actually went down to about 2% of the planets in Star Control 2, and there were so many star systems, that despite playing the game through a dozen times, I think I’ve only been to about 60% of the systems in the game, maybe less. Mass Effect is not a good comparison, since it was pretty feasible in that one just to go to every single planet.

Ah, that’s cool that collection distance is an upgrade. As I said, I won’t really judge anything about control and game feel until I’m playing it myself. But the preview comments just seemed to back up what I was seeing in the videos.

I’d agree here. Who landed on every planet in Starflight? That way lay madness.

Well you couldn’t, there was a time limit. But I landed on a whole hell of a bunch.