Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

Just to clarify, NOT ME!!! lol. I’m still stuck at work, and I’ll be firing up the game once I get home :)

You need to do this for every game and see how close you get.

This is streaming right now:

Mixer LFG Exclusive: Star Control Origins

https://mixer.com/MixerLFG

EDIT: the stream just finished

Stardock are giving away free Steam codes every few minutes on the stream to a random winner. The game seems like lighthearted fun. Exploring planets, meeting new friends, blowing up ships.

I didn’t know anything about it before watching the stream, but I’m intrigued now.

Thanks Man for posting this…I just won a code!

So I saw. Lucky you! :)

Seems really enjoyable from what I’ve been watching. I’m looking forward to reading more opinions about the game.

Some good news my friends!

14.6 MB/s is just too darn slow. sigh

Regarding the planet stuff, we’re going to put out an update next week where the first officer suggests you NOT try to land on every crummy planet.

When you get to a planet, if you mouse over a mineral you will see how much those minerals are worth. Most planets are just balls of ice or rock. Don’t land on them. They’re a waste of time and fuel.

Instead, think of the planets as quest givers and destinations. Your officers will, later in the game, inform you when there’s a planet in a system with something worthwhile to check out and when you visit a planet your scanners will tell you if there’s something interesting on the planet.

To put the numbers into perspective, a typical mission will net you 6,000 RU. A low end planet might give you 50. It’s like going to a graveyard in Diablo and collecting gray items.

But I think it’s perfectly understandable that completists might be tempted to try to land on thousands of planets so a word from your first officer I think would go a long way. Alternatively, we could make landing consume a lot more fuel to discourage landing on a planet to pick up hydrogen and silicon.

If I may suggest, heavily laden with snark ;)

Servers getting hammered Brad? I’m getting ~400Kb/s. :)

Right now I’m looking for a planet with uranium, because I sold the stuff I found before finding out I would need it.

Any news on the key bindings update so that rebinding ‘E’ is possible for ESDF? I’m guessing the team might be a bit slammed and it’s not happening today. I tried playing like a console peasant with a controller and it was just wrong. Like, when someone hangs a roll of toilet paper the wrong way. It’s just not right… not right at all.

tp

@Brad_Wardell Not to jinx anything, but congratulations on what seems like (so far) to be the smoothest SD game launch I’ve followed.

I’ve never been able to put my finger on the specific ‘unpolished’ feeling that I’ve gotten from your previous games, but whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to afflict SC:O :)

Well, my cunning plan to hold off until the console release of Origins has been waylaid by the generous gift of a Steam key. So, I’ll be joining the rest of you redshirts in the great beyond!

Yea. It’s done internally. Just has to go through QA.

@Brad_Wardell one thing that might be nice in the future is the ability to mark a system from the captain’s log like you can in the sector map, and not just auto-pilot to it. It would be nice to see where a system is located sometimes before making the trip. Now to try the search functionality. :)

Thanks! And I know what you mean. There’s a few little things about this game that stand out like animated menus, animated screen transitions, just general smoothness.

There are still things I think need to be addressed (for next week) like the key binding thing (I’m surprised that never came up – I actually use the cursor keys). For example, more info on the weapons. That will be going in probably on Monday. I’m surprised none of the beta testers brought it up but now that I’m aware of it I can’t not be aware of it. :)

Definitely. In fact, that whole captain’s log / objectives / map thing is going to end up getting an “upgrade” as soon as we can.

You can almost picture the progression from “No breadcrumbs, everyone should write their notes down on paper” to where we are now. The “objectives” tab only went in in July for example based on player feedback and the last bit of feedback we got was to integrate the captain’s log and the sector map but it was too late to get that in but that’s the next thing on our list to look at.

Thanks much!