Stardock owns Star Control and is planning an "XCOM-like" reboot

Damn this has some long load times from my (decade-old) HDD. Wish I’d had room on one of the SSDs for it. D’oh.

Anyone know Steam behaviour if I opt out of the beta? Will the launch version re-download entirely, or just delta?

Haven’t kept up with the thread since June so apologies if these were mentioned, but my load times are pretty crazy long and I was a tad disappointed to see that the little portraits of the captains aren’t showing the controls being used. I thought in the old one they kinda did what you did, they seem to be just looping animations now and I was a bit bummed.

Crashed after hitting A (playing via 360 controller) to investigate the energy source.

I looked under my chair this evening and found that @tomchick left a copy of Star Control: Origins there for me.

Such a great forum. Such a great time to be a gamer!

See you in space, friends.

If you ever had the beta, make sure you delete your star control directory in \my games.

Also, if you can white list the game so your anti-virus isn’t scanning every file. We have found that causes issues for some people.

They’re a series of animations based on the state of the ship rather than when maneuvering. :)

Even if we only did fleet battles beta? Everything seems to be working fine for me. One thing I did notice with the ai module, it you have one it seems you don’t get to choose to fight battles. At least when I went to Ceres with out equipped i couldn’t. So ended up selling it.

Would this wipe any progress in my new playthrough?

It would if you deleted the saves. You could wipe out everything other than the save game directory I think.

I had the fleet battles version, but not the actual beta. Should I dump mine, as well? I ran into a lockup returning home after picking up two items and knocking out the probe. I heard the welcome, but then everything stopped except the splash screen and music. It didn’t crash, so I couldn’t fill out the crash form.

For whatever it’s worth, I love the game so far. Just a couple annoying crashes.

Well I’ve played through what I am guessing would be considered the prelude, and had a lot of fun. Bopping around our solar system and finding things, like a crashed car, in random places is pretty cool. Looks like I’m about to take my first steps into a larger world, as Obiwan would say. Off to a pretty fun start!

FWIW, the answer is delta only. Opted out of beta and Steam kicked off a 1.6Gb download. Have deleted the My Games Star Control folder as per Brad’s advice.

Yes I like this too.

It appears you can set auto-pilot to places outside your fuel range. What happens if you run out of fuel?

Edit: Well you don’t die, but some might consider it a fate worse than death.

This is out?

Came out yesterday.

;)

But it’s such a great story. Should totally be made into a movie!

Nah, people are just making stuff up :)

That’s where I paused for the night as well, though I did take a look at hyperspace and went to the system that I found next to Sol (Proxima Centauri I think). But I stopped there.

So far, I like it.

On the combat front, it looks like the ships don’t wrap around the battlefield anymore? There seems to be an asteroid field that surrounds each fight, so I think instead of fighting in a wrap-around area around a planet, you now fight in a big square around a planet.