Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

Yea I made a little cheer when he mentioned Inigo. They are going all into the 10 year game life cycle, which is ballsy.

You could try this 20 minute summary.

10 years is fine, if they support the game with additional content for the duration. They have never done that for any of their games. The final Skyrim expansion released in 2012, after one year. Everything else was small DLC.

They are absolutely banking on the modders keeping the game alive. I can see it for ES6, but not for Starfield. Sadly SciFi is not as popular. But for me it’s a dream come true.

I think modders have been pretty active for the Fallout games, no?

Very much so, new weapons, armor, quests, companions, game play mechanics, etc.

They are but the difference in sheer volume of mods between FO4 and Skyrim is huge.

That may be true, but there are still tons of quality FO4 mods, enough such that you can easily exceed the mod limit.

Sad to know I won’t be able to play this one (PS5 only here.) Loved the Fallout games and Skyrim.

New Q&A, this one is with lead quest designer Will Shen.

Should the guy with the Renaissance Fair haircut be working on this and not the next Elder Scrolls?

(ducks!)

Looks like it may be here sooner than later:

They’ve barely shown gameplay, right?

Depending on how you want to define “Gameplay” last year they gave us about 15 minutes. Definitely some solid amounts of gameplay shown, interspersed with Todd Howard talking and snippets of screenshots and short clips of stuff.

Are there any upcoming gaming conferences we might hope for more breadcrumbs from in the next few months?

Woohoo! First half of 2023 is earlier than I expected though. Hope those aren’t bug planets.

GDC is in March, I believe.

PAX East is the end of March, too, but Bethesda and Microsoft don’t need events to give more info about Starfield. They can just release a video whenever they want.

They sure can but I have a feeling that one of those shows might be where they do a special walkthrough or something. Wasn’t Skyrim walked through at a show?

Maybe, but Skyrim pre-release was 13 years ago. Lots about how games are marketed has changed.

I think a “Starfield Direct” is a much more likely way they’ll drum up hype in advance of release.