Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

If anyone else said this I’d be like, “yeah, maybe,” but Brian you play a lot of things like this and you’re making me want to install it today.

Yeah I’m really hooked on this one at the moment. It’s got so many ways to go find trouble, from space missions to ground missions.

One guy who has done more in less time and with less money than Star Citizen. I haven’t played it (but I plan to when it has more neat on its bones) but I have watched a number of videos and what the developer has done and is doing is amazing.

It’s already got plenty there, if I might add. The faction stuff was recently added, as was factional diplomacy, for example, plus just oodles and oodles of missions. I just got to the factional stuff and it is boggling.

So Baldur’s Gate 3 releases on 8/31 and Starfield on 9/6. Like I have time for 2 massive RPGs. Maybe I should take all of September as PTO.

Yowch, yeah, that is a concern. Sucks they’re so close together. It feels like MS is daring Larian to delay to November. They probably should.

I’m 99% sure Bioware has nothing to do with Starfield.

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

There’s always a chance because I’m an idiot and never sure of anything.

Although to be fair, I doubt Starfield will be stable before November.

Stable and mostly bug free by Holiday Season!

I must have gotten lucky. My experience with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim and Fallout 4 have been largely bug-free at launch. Some jank, for sure, with frame-rate “loading” hiccups in particular, but nothing that really made me think “I should have waited and not played this at launch”.

Argh. Am I going to be forced to purchase an XBox for just one game? I do all my gaming on my PS5, but I love my open world Bethesda games.

I prefer science fiction so much over Fantasy that this is a no-brainer for me. Baldur’s Gate can wait. (Besides which, I hated the first game, and haven’t played the second one yet).

I just need to keep my expectations in check and not get too excited for this. It has so much potential, but it’s safer to assume it won’t be much better than Fallout 3 and 4. And that’s still something to look forward to! :)

Yes, definitely, that’s why MS bought Zenimax.

Or play it on a gaming PC, if you have one, of course. Or (probably) GeForce Now.

Well…there are some other exclusives that are good fun on the Xbox only: Grounded is a very fun open world game. Sea of Thieves is somewhat fun. Stalker 2 might be great…and of course, the new SKYRIM…you will want that for sure.

XSS is cheap and works great for all these games.

Bah, that’s the coward’s way out. Let yourself be excited, man! It’s going to be awesome.

I totally expect an awesome yet very buggy Bethesda game in my hot little hands this year. I don’t expect a real CRPG because Bethesda doesn’t make those any more, but what they do make is gigantic action/exploration games with narrative structure and RPG elements, and I enjoy those.

I think it’s going to be Fallout 3076.

Yeah that’s pretty much what I meant. It even has that construction garbage from F4. Hopefully it’s similarly optional, I despised that shit.