Starfield by Bethesda -- PC and Xbox exclusive -- 09/06/23

Thought this was a nice archive of all the concept art so far.

https://starfieldwiki.net/wiki/Concept_Art

Might as well put the gameplay here:

Is it on my end or does it look choppy/low framerate in the gameplay video? I’m a little over 3 minutes in. I swear I can feel the jank just from watching.

Yeah, that was brought up in the Xbox thread where folks were watching it stream live - my guess is optimizing is part of what delayed the game from being out in 5 months. Hard to say.

Oh so you can actually fly the ships. Excellent.

Looks very Freelancery too, a good thing.

The bones are there for modders to go insane as well.

One DLC per planet!

Looks very good. Curious how the land anywhere planet tech will work out.

I am hoping the main quest line really encourages exploration and sidequests, instead of putting an urgent “save the universe” ticking clock in the background of everything. From what little we have in the trailer, sounds like you’ll be fetching various mcguffin bits around the galaxy.

Potential to make Star Citizen even more of a moot point, at least for single player.

Has anyone ever made a multiplanetary game interesting, once you’re on the planet? NMS, Elite, Star Citizen…? Andromeda?

If they’re going to save resources somewhere, I would think it’s here. I suspect we won’t be able to fly through the atmosphere around the globe. More generated instances instead, possibly not even stored so you can return to them. I could be wrong.

NMS is probably the best at it, currently.

No Man’'s Sky has come the closest, I think.

I wonder if a mod team will try to create Star Citizen 42 in Starfield before it comes out. Haha!

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. Pick a spot. Thr game generates a zone and you get a transition animation.

The planets seemed a bit ho hum. Would like more gonzo in the environments and plant life.

Oh also Evochron Legacy does fairly well at this for an indie project. Planets have multiple cities and other stuff on 'em, but it’s not as pretty or dense as NMS.

Starflight?

You’re going to need to have some empty worlds or else the game’s universe will feel like an amusement park.

Hah well if you’re going that route than yes of course Starflight 1 and 2.

The framerate did look low in places, but it also looked like certain things had a deliberately lower framerate (ala Miles Morales from into the Spiderverse). The critters we saw just before the 3 minute mark looked a bit like stop-motion, which I love.

Or, dare I say, Starflight? (@vyshka beat me to it while I was typing)

I’ve been kicking this thought around my head for awhile now, but this sends like a good a time as any to share. I don’t play the Elder Scrolls games. I’ve tried and bounce off of them immediately. They are just way to open for me. And yet, this looks fantastic.

What’s the difference? There’s just something different about space games…or, perhaps, my expectations in space games. Cut me loose in a fantasy game and I want to know where I’m supposed to go and what I’m supposed to do. I feel lost otherwise. I like to explore but have a beaten path to deviate from. But hand me the controls of a junker shuttle and let me set course into the deep black without so much as a second star to the right and straight on til morning.

What I want from this game is to be able to land on planets there’s no reason to go to and find something really cool because I took the time to spend hours looking, preferably in an M35 Mako.

Hahahaha. Have you played any of the more recent Elder Scrolls or Fallout games? There’s a POI every twenty feet.