Stars in Shadow

It’s now on GOG! 40% off, too.

great little game. devs are still active. dlc being developed

buy it! :)

(I feel like i’ve gone all Brian)

I’m flattered sir.

Coincidentally I was just playing this over the weekend. Love the game but I can’t figure out the diplomacy. I was playing as the humans and ran into the seahorse race. We had trade and port agreements and a lot of good positive interactions over quite a few turns. They even sent me some colonists to live on one of my worlds. My diplomacy numbers with them were pretty high and we were BFFs. Then suddenly, WHAM - ‘Sorry, we need your worlds for expansion’, and they declare war. WTF?

These devs need to learn to go on sale before Steam sales and Prime Day. My wallet has taken a beating.

you sir, are flattering the flatterer! :)

Well, I found out why friendly races were attacking me. If you don’t keep your fleet strength up they’ll think you’re weak and will declare war on you. If you keep a decent sized fleet they’ll respect you and not attack. Lesson learned. To save resources, I generally like to build infrastructure in these games first before building war capacity but that doesn’t work out too well here.

Just built my first dreadnaughts in my current game. So much fun.

Ohhh, new DLC next month! A new cyborg playable race, new minor races and more!

I just can’t get past the graphics. It looks like a browser game.

Your loss man. Out of the recent glut of space 4X games, this one is my favorite.

I’m with Mr Rubin on this one. I also didn’t like the graphics at first. But it grows on you fast. Don’t let the graphics get between you and an excellent 4X. I’ll pick up DLC for this for sure.

Yeah, I’m probably missing out because I’m shallow. Don’t worry though, I follow all your other recommendations on games.

HAh, that’ll get me through the day. :)

[quote=“BrianRubin, post:90, topic:125369, full:true”]
Your loss man. Out of the recent glut of space 4X games, this one is my favorite.[/quote]

Do you have a review out there on it? SiS is on my wish list but l have not yet pulled the trigger because the reviews are not great and the game play looks fairly basic. It also appears to be missing more modern 4x conventions like territories and things like that.

Ok bought. 40% off. Any good starter tips?

I do!

Not that I recall personally, I just dove in and had a great time my first time.

I’m liking this a lot so far. Playing on easy to get my feet wet and test out a few mechanics, so far I’m building up a sizeable fleet of attack ships and that seems to be making everyone wanting to be my friend.

There is one annoying mechanic which is "your fleet can not venture outside of a range of your planets which severely limits your ability in early game to do scouting.

Battles give you the option of autoresolving or doing the turn-by-turn and I find that I suck so bad that I’m using autoresolve as it’s going to do far, far better than whatever I try to do. Most of this is because the weapon range really doesn’t show very well. My ships seem severely limited whereas the pirates are able to move 1/2 the galaxy (I exaggerate) and fire all their weapons where I can only move a paltry few squares and even though my lasers & missiles say I have a range of 9 & 10 respectively, on the screen it looks like 3 squares. Any advice / learning here?

Once I release a transport to auto-mode, not sure how I can get them to show back up to use for colonist transport?

The build times on planet are atrocious. It can take a lot of turns to get a planet somewhat functional. I keep wanting production on a planet to be tied to factories and population, but I’m not detecting anything like that unless it’s really subtle. I am using my old Stars! strategy of colonizing followed by 3-4 transports to drop colonists and it isn’t boosting production like I would have thought.

But this is only 6 hours into the game, so a lot more learning to go.

Anyone going to pick up the DLC for this?

I saw it was 40% off on steam and I was debating picking up the base game.

I’ll be picking it up, hopefully later today (OzTime). The base game is certainly worth the $15 sale price imho

Seriously considering it myself as well, was just curious what anyone made of the DLC, but no matter, like you said, this feels like it’s easily worth 15 bucks.