Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

I’m wondering if I can get a whole fleet of nothing but Apogees and Tugs so that travel the farthest regions to scoop up the techs.

Anyone done this before? My current fleet burn through fuel much too fast to effectively visit too many stars.

I got myself a Prometheus tanker:

I put an augmented field drive on it to increase speed to match the rest of the fleet and it holds a ton of fuel. Good for those long exploration missions.

But the pirates will have their way with you, unless you can out run them. And the best stuff is guarded by old defensive systems, don’t forget. You need some combat capability.

Yea you guys are probably right. Seems like 2x Prometheus and Capital ships are a must to unlock the heavily guarded places.

Here’s a screenshot of all the AI cores I’ve gotten from the Remnant system next door to my colony system while farming it for Tachyon Lances (to quip my Paragons). Worth many a pretty penny.

I tried buy this in Feb 2016 but my order was declined, I got around to purchasing it now! Are there any good new player guides or is it a case of dive in and learn by failing?

See Scott’s post #470 where he linked a very good tutorial.

How do you see post numbers?

This guy:

Link to this guys channel, he’s very good and while not the best player (according to him, he’s at least one of the best according to me) he is easy to listen to and follow along with.

I knew it would be obvious after I typed it out!

Thanks!

For your late game fleets that want to travel the galaxy you will definitely need a large tanker like the one Coldsteel linked. I’d also advise modding it for extra fuel capacity and efficiency for the lower maintenance. You may need to mod it with an augmented drive if you aren’t using other 7 speed ships, but in a late game fleet it is extremely likely that you are and it’s more combat efficient to just bring tugs rather than waste Ordinance Points on augmented drives for your Capitals.

I also take some Tugs for the burn speed (though i do not think this helps with fuel efficiency as travelling faster also burns more fuel, though maybe the ratio is favorable I haven’t looked into it). They are a bit on the expensive side to maintain to stack up too many right away.

How are people’s experiences with Salvaging Rigs? I can’t really tell how much value mine is producing. 40% more salvage I guess, but what this translates to as a percentage of my overall income is more difficult since I have colonies, commission and bounties bringing in income.

Re: Salvage Rigs

After ditching them, I seem to get less valuable loot as well. So I’m considering adding them again.

Doesn’t it show the bonus you are getting on the asses screen? I’m not in front of the game at the moment, but I think it’s in the list there along with the bonus you get from the industrial skill.

Edit: Ok it turns out this is just another failure of reading comprehension on my part. The number I was concerned with was “post-battle salvage” which is apparently 5%. I’m not sure if that is worth it. Obviously if you had 3 or something even with diminishing returns it might be more noticeable. I wonder how it stacks with the +25% weapon/fighter recovery from the skill tree. Though I suppose multiplicative or additive, the results are pretty similar. 130% vs 131.25%. Enough to care about in Diablo or something, but probably not Starsector.

I definitely got one somewhere. My guess is from the Remnant Starbase in one of the red alert systems. I’ve also invaded them and gotten them from the AI that way, but I don’t think you can invade in vanilla.

Hmmm, the Legion XIV fleet (5 of them) I picked up in exploration and some Apogees with phase lances is good enough to clear out “High Alert” remant fleets and star bases in “Easy” setting.

I’ll try out the “Red Planet” mission soon.

Seems like I’ll need to start a new “Normal” difficulty campaign. Any more campaign challenges?

A good trio of colonies is good enough to supply a fleet with of Capital Ships. The trick is to start them at the correct time I think, starting too early may seriously hobble their growth due to pirates.

There are only two of these per generated galaxy, I recall hearing.

There really isn’t much of a campaign. The hardest things I’ve encountered are the Remnant Starbases and the Remnant invasion fleets. I don’t know if the invasion fleets are mod-added or vanilla, but the Starbases are definitely in vanilla.

The lack of a coherent threat or (obviously optional) final battle is the only thing obviously missing in the game for me.

Really? That’s interesting!