Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

That’s true. Alex mentioned that it’s one of the things that needs to be worked into the end game before it’s done.

That feeling you get when you realize using the word obviously twice in a sentence is terrible writing but someone quotes you before you can stealth edit it. 😢

Ha!

By the way, you think the mods that changed it to be like a 4X (invasion of bases) add much to the game play?

Currently, your colonies do not trade with each other. Also, it messes up with the economy of the game. Painting the who galaxy with your colonies is a huge time waster.

I rather someone devote time to come with some powerful alien boss that spawn and devour star systems, making them into blackholes. And they creep towards the core worlds. That’ll be fun.

Edit: Kind of like Space Pirates and Zombies.

I think it adds a bit. I like a lot of the mods, the new factions add a lot of gameplay variety. There are obviously some questionable balancing in some of them, but it takes about 20 seconds to change a weapon’s stats if you want to for example buff a weapon that feels totally useless but has awesome graphical effects, or nerf one that is really cool but maybe a bit game breaking. I’ve done both, personally.

I dont know if the invasion aspect added all that much. Really the biggest thing is that it makes it so factions can wipe each other out entirely, so I suppose it does make the galaxy feel more dynamic.

This thread got me playing again. I’m still early on, got a Hammerhead and two Wolfs for my battle fleet along with a mudskipper, a couple of shepherds and a dram for support. A little light bounty hunting and some transport missions have gotten me about 250k in the bank. I’m at a base where I can but a Harbinger for ~150k. I’m tempted by it’s power to disable nearby ships. Is the Harbinger worth such a large part of my hard earned cash?

Yes. I was surprised. That must be extremely rare though.

Are you referring to pristine nanoforges? I’ve found 4 in my current game so far. You can see 3 in my screenshot above and my 4th is being used on my heavy industry colony.

To be honest the numbers in that screenshot look like a bug, but yeah I read two nano-forges of pristine quality per map at one point. Maybe it was adjusted to make them easier to find? Or maybe it depends on the map type such as galaxy age at map generation?

I think maybe only 2 are guaranteed but you can still find others. One is via the red planet main quest mission. I got a couple of mine from abandoned research stations.

JDCollie is very good. Another good one is this guy.

Yeah, I like this guy too. Been watching his series and JDCollie.

I can’t read text in that video.

:(

A few questions for the more versed players.

Should I just be selling survey data to the first market I run across or is there some other special purpose I might want to hold on to them for? Is there any reason not to sell them via the black market? Other than whatever suspicion bump you might get from the sale?

Is there any rush to surveying and claiming colonies? Do planets gradually get surveyed or colonized by the established factions? Or are they just all there waiting for the player?

Good to know thank you. Now I can freely spend more time battling for the sake of battle.

My favorite fight so far was when I ended up at a station as it was being attacked by pirates. My small fleet was able to provide some critical flanking to win the day. I’m now actively looking for intel on where pirates are coming to attack just to find opportunities to assist in big battles.

I’m up to two Hammerheads and two Wolves, and about 400k in the bank. I’m semi reluctant to expand my fleet too much since I like commanding a small fast force. I’ve got to figure out how to build a cruiser force that can serve as the anvil while I micromanage where the hammer strikes by flying a small fast contingent around.

Very cool game and I have started over many times as I slowly get the feel of the game. The amount of ships and weapons is quite overwhelming. How did everyone learn ship-weapon combinations. Trail and error or is there some where to read up on it?

I was having the hardest time with colonies – constant harassment by pirates was turning them from a profit center to a liability almost immediately after building them. Turns out I was doing it before I really had the budget to do it right. You need to be able to immediately add a bunch of additions, so saving up around a million credits is prudent and makes it go much more smoothly.

This video is helpful (wish I’d seen it before I build my current base was built – I’ve defended the last few attacks but it’s been a challenge; I started off with just under half of what I should have had).

For my tiny fleet I started with the built in loadouts and after staring at and comparing numbers like op, DPS, and Flux per second making small adjustments.

The ships I’ve made major changes to are my support ships. They are mainly stripped of weapons so I can use the OP for mods like survey equipment, expanded fuel/cargo/ and mods to increase burn or combat speed. Their only role should they get caught in combat is to flee.

After some limited playing, I find I have 2 decent beefs about the interfaces:

Mentioned above - buying things. Do I really have to Shift-Click 100 times if I want to buy 100 crew?
Different mouse button used for moving on different screens. Example: on the map screen: it’s a right click to move to a planet or base. On the main “action” screen: it’s a left click (right click turns on free move). Or should I just remap keys (not sure I saw these in the settings)?

As was covered above you can hold shift-hold click-drag right and left to change quantity quickly-release click to complete.

This drives me nuts too. Consistency please!

@Scotten this is correct. It should look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/xLiMtRt.png

In addition, ctrl-click on the item for sale will automatically put the quantity at what you need to max that item. So if you need 158 supplies to hit your capacity, ctrl-click will automatically select 158 of them for purchase.

Is there any way to Sell All? Its a massive PITA selling every individual stack of guns after a couple late game battles. I’ve looked for a way but me not finding something isn’t necessarily indicative of its non-existence. I missed the question mark at the top of the refit screen for quite awhile.

If there isn’t, as long as you can filter it by catagory (All, Resources, Ship Weapons, etc) a sell all button would really be a godsend. In a perfect world where Sell All existed, you could shift-click stuff in your inventory to lock them with a protected status to really get needless clicking to a minimum. Well, that’s how I’d handle it.