Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

The difference in battle controls is the #1 reason I savescum. I can’t count the times I dropped shields when I wanted to switch to free look mode.

Ctrl-click

edit: Oops, you meant all stacks

Something I picked up on recently that other new players might not have noticed. You can capture the nav buoys and sensor arrays. Nav buoys give +2 burn to your fleet and sensor arrays give +400 range to your sensors.

I ended up in a system with one world held by the Persean League, one by the Luddic Path, and another by Pirates. The Path had ownership of a buoy and a sensor array so I took control of them both. I am faster than all their fleets now and can spot them from far off. Plus, they keep trying to take back the buoy and array so I am getting a semi-constant new stream of new small fleets to pick on. With the one League world I have an in system place to sell or store the spoils.

I find it’s generally more helpful to Hack those than to take control of them, unless you are planning on colonies in the sector. That way you dont have to worry about getting the bonuses lost the moment you fly away. And the hacks last 3 months which is way longer than you’ll need to be in the system.

The extra sensor range is nice to find pirate/luddic bases and the burn speed to catch or avoid enemy fleets, so if you’re nearby they are worth a quick hack.

Do I need to install Java in order to run this game?

No, you do not.

I’ve been working my League/Path/Pirate system hard. Intercepting all their fleets. Raiding the Path and Pirate bases to keep their stability at zero. This is causing these worlds to generate contracts for goods they are short on. I just took a contract to deliver 500 fuel to the Path world I’ve been raiding. I basically sold back to them the fuel I’ve been accumulating from destroying their fleets for 75k.

Does anyone know if you can drive a faction off a core world by keeping their stability zero long enough? I wonder if I keep this up can I poach the Path’s world from them.

Thanks for the info. Just purchased the game, looks like a lot of fun.

If a world stays at “low” stability for long enough, it will essentially cease to exist. I’ve seen this happen a handful of times, but am not clear on exactly what the triggers for it are, outside of being stability related.

There is a mod that adds invasions to the game, and has the factions kind of organically wipe each other out over time. Nexerelin or something like that. It adds some feeling of depth to the universe imo. Plus a way to just obliterate any faction you really dislike.

I like taking over the arrays in a system housing a sekret Pirate base, just before I plan to attack. They always come running to re-take it, usually leaving the base undefended. Thanks, Pirates!

Couple new noob questions:

1. I just started getting monthly maintenance charges hitting me to the tune of 17k a month, up to this point I assume the easy setting had me collecting a salary or something that defrayed this cost which I’m now taking the full hit for, or something along those lines. My question is, is this the time I need to consider getting a colony going? If so, is 600k enough to do it w/o immediately getting harrassed to the point it’s not cost effective? I’ve seen the million dollar number thrown around as the threshold for this, do I need to go track down another 400k? Because these monthly expenses are going to start eating into my savings and put me on a monthly treadmill clock where I need to run profitable missions just to stay even. So, want to know what people do at this point.

2. On my last survey mission I found a synchrotron core, given that the value is 400k I stuffed in in corvus with the rest of my stuff and wanted to come here first to find out if this is something you keep for the colony or sell, my assumption is keep so that’s what I’ve done. Only found corrupted nano forges so far, assume I need to keep hunting for a pristine.

Thanks for taking a look at my latest couple of questions.

I saved up 500k for my first base in this session, and after repeatedly being knocked back on my heels with a disabled starport, I wished I had waited. Running a couple of good survey clusters should put you over the top (I usually try to grab 3+ on one the side of the map and hit them in one go).

That said, I also realized that a colony without “Free port” status is much less likely to be harassed by anyone but pirates, making that a good strategy while you’re still setting up your defenses. But the pirates will still be a problem that could set you back, especially if you can’t quickly put an orbital station in (and get it upgraded in short order) along with the basic ground defense.

Thanks for the answer on the base! I’ll keep trying to save some more dough for it before pulling the trigger.

Do you also think I should hang on to the synchrotron core? Other than knowing how valuable they are based on what I can sell it for, I don’t know how hard they are to come by or how useful they are because to be honest I’m not entirely sure what it is or used for…

As to monthly costs, to see what is causing them look under the “command” menu and then “income” (hotkeys: D, 3).

I just realized yesterday that storage costs money. I had been hoarding cheap things that I was receiving in abundance like metal and fuel so I could later take them somewhere the prices were higher. I didn’t realize until recently I’ve been paying ~5k a month in storage fees for all the stuff I’ve been leaving around.

Also if the income you get at the start has run out, a far easier way to get an income than starting a colony is to get a faction to commission. I haven’t done so yet, but the text says it pays 20k a month.

Does the abandoned station at Corvus where I’ve been stuffing things also charge I wonder? I thought it was a freebie storage location?! Gonna have to take a look now.

And yes, I’d considered a commission, but I’m sort of playing this one as an explorer and wondered whether the risk of pissing off all the other factions by taking a side was worth it.

What I’m also wondering right is if the officers I’ve got are worth their cost since I don’t tend to get into that many fights.

I read that once you resign a commission you are standing is restored to what it was before -20 for any faction there were hostilities with. So you don’t end up permanently pissing off any faction.

Same. Is that how text looks in game? Man, I so want to play this game.

This video is much more legible. If this is how this baby looks I can squint and play. At only $15 bucks what can I lose?

Yeah, I have no problem with the text size myself.

Does anyone really play this ironman? I die a lot. Often because I accidentally hit right-click at a critical moment (I really need to re-map that). Sometimes because this is a true QT3 game and I decide to play one last battle before bed and I’m too tired to know what I’m doing, and of course because sometimes I overestimate my fleet’s abilities.