Starsector: Best space combat 13 years in the making - 0.96 out (2023 update)

Nice find indeed. I love that ship.

I’ve probably asked this before, in fact I know I have, but not sure I ever nailed down an answer.

is there a limit to setting up new colonies?

Apparently the Diktat was disappointed they didn’t have the opportunity to saturation bomb my colony as I evacuated it before their fleet arrived but I still took a five point reputation hit. Those sadistic bastards.

Hostilities between the Persean League and the Tri-Tachyon Corporation ended. I believe I had 100 or close to it before hostilities. My raiding had me down to -100 prior to the peace. I got back 140 (same as I did with the Hegemony) which brought be back to just 40. So my reputation suffered greatly during the war, but they are still welcoming to me.

How do I find the pirate base from which the bastards keep attacking my colonies? I have two colonies in one sector, and I can’t find the base in that sector. Is it nearby?

I often find out where they are from going down to the bar at my colonies and buying a beer for a stranger, he tells you where it is and an event then shows up in the log for where it is on the map.

That worked! Thanks so much.

To answer my own question, one of the main limitations to how many colonies you can have is administrators, your captain can run only so many, you can only hire so many administrators, and I’ve yet to determine whether AI cores are a finite supply in the seed for the galaxy that’s fixed from point of inception, that appears to be my only solution to the problem this now creates for making more colonies.

Need to figure out where to track down more of them, guess I’ll park my war fleet and resort back to exploring to see if I can find more.

W/O and administrator you take a hit on stability, I might also just ignore than I’m taking that hit and see how bad it makes things.

I’m having a good time dodging and running from enemy fleets while exploring the outer systems. I haven’t engaged anything meaner than the defense drones guarding probes. Instead I’ve been playing a stealth game with Remnant ships while scavenging and surveying. I had a harder time dodging Path ships in hyperspace until I figured out how to bounce off hyperspace storms to escape.

I’ve found some plans while exploring. Do you need your own colonies to construct weapons / ships from plans? Are they scarce enough that I should be holding onto the ones I find? I know pirates will start producing them if I sell them on the black market.

Yes, you need your own colonies to produce ships and weapons from blueprints. Once you find a blueprint you should right click to learn it. Once you’ve learned a particular blueprint you can sell additional copies you might find. However be mindful of selling on the black market or to pirate bases. I have read that pirates will incorporate blueprints you sell them.

So, um, opps, my actions did result in the de-civilization of Culann.

Though this did lead me to finding out that if you de-civilize a world with ruins, you can then search those ruins. I managed to get the low-tech blueprint set out of the ruins of Culann. I’m considering setting up a temporary tech mining colony like I did in Askonia. The station that was around Culann is now an abandoned station that I can store things at.

I’ve been putting the Paragon blueprint to good use. I’ve got a pair of them outfitted with two tachyon lances and two graviton beams up front and two plasma cannons in the side large energy slots, a pair of heavy needlers in the medium universal mounts, and some burst PD lasers all around. They make things go pop.

I recently went in to see how much trouble remnants are, so I popped into a sector with one of those warnings outside that says high danger.

Previously i avoided these for the most part.

So, I get greeted by multiple fleets of remnant, which in and of itself is no big deal. I kill one, which had a battleship (these are really rather tough since they’re battleships that phase), I kill this fleet, proceeded to sit about fixing the ships, and viola, out from the base pops another of the same type and strength that I just killed.

I do this like 3 times in a row, and I’m starting to have a bit of trouble repairing everything.

And then the starbase pops out a fleet that’s got multiple battleships and some carriers, and I make for the exit.

Net: faster than I can kill them this star base cranks out new fleets, and you can’t very well take out the fleet and the starbase in the same battle, or I certainly can’t. Just end up chewed up. So my usual strategy is to take out the fleets defending, then take out the base.

So, what’s my question: is this typical for remnant sectors with a starbase to chug out fleets so fast you can’t actually kill them all so you can take out the base itself?

Because it sure as hell looked that way to me tonight.

I’ve only popped in and out of systems with high remnant threat.

Given that the fleets they generate drop AI cores, unless a high threat system contains planets you really want to colonize I’d consider them farming locations for cores.

How do you search ruins? Does this apply to the ruins you come across while surveying, as well?

Just you go to the planet and it gives you the option to search the ruins. Just like when you survey a planet with ruins.

Note that there are a few world already surveyed worlds in the core systems that have ruins. You can search those as well. They are nice freebies early on.

I was just testing out of curiosity how robust their defenses are in a high threat sector, looks like it’s pretty stout. I mean you can handle what they throw at you, the problem appears to be they produce replacement fleets instantly unlike the player. I wanted to see how tough their star base was, but never got the chance.

It wasn’t for the purposes of settling up a colony, it was because I was curious what you get from one of their star bases in the way of goodies.

I did as as you mentioned pick up a bunch of cores from their ships, so there is in effect an infinite supply of cores available if you have the fleet to take them on.

Once you do a survey of a planet if there are ruins you’ll have the option to explore them. With a colony you can build an industry to harvest/mine them.

Here’s another question: do enemy fleets chase you from system to system? I know Remnants won’t follow you out of system, and it seems like fleets chasing you on hyperspace don’t follow you into systems.

But: I ran into a scavenger fleet that turned hostile in the far corner of the map. I can manage a sustained burn of 20 and dodged them while surveying planets and wrecks in system. After I left, I had a similar (can’t verify they were the same) scavenger fleet tail me in the next three or four systems. Eventually, I jumped into a system with multiple pirate fleets that all scanned as searching for my fleet and that was that. Sad to lose my progress, as I picked up some nice loot from vast ruins right after my first encounter with the scavenger.

I assume this was all just a coincidence, but it felt like a larger fleet got angry at me for stealing the good loot and chased me down.

This is a pretty sweet game. I’ve barely touched the combat side of things, instead playing it as a space stealth game. I’m also roleplaying my Captain, the scavenger Mr. Egypt, much more than I intended to at the start.

My bet is that was just a coincidence and not same fleet chasing across multiple sectors.

And agreed, this is one sweet game.

I’m in the end game myself and debating what I want to do, contemplating killing off remnant fleets over and over to harvest AIs and then using them to set up still more colonies, got a dozen all south of the core at this point and making right at a million a month. I’d love to be able to run multiple fleets at the same time, surround the core with colonies and then conduct a mass invasion!

I reloaded the save to double-check, and I can confirm there are two pirate corsair fleets that are following me between systems. Caught them jumping in and out of hyperspace and immediately going into search or pursuit mode.

I’m carrying a lucrative haul right now, with about a dozen AI cores, some corrupted nanoforges, and a synchrotron core, plus all sorts of ship designs. Easily over a million credits, if that has anything to do with it.

Interesting, I’ll have to keep that in mind when I go to harvest AI cores from the remnant. I suspect I’ve just not encountered this for awhile because my fleet is strong enough right now to scare them off. Back earlier in the campaign when I was just doing exploration/salvage I’m pretty sure I was running from everything including my own shadow pretty much non-stop.

Good luck getting the loot back to storage or selling it, whichever it is you’re planning.