State of Decay 2 - Time is your worst enemy

Seems crazy to me that I still haven’t played SoD2 yet, given how much time I spent in the first game. Going to need to devote some time to that before the third game releases, at least.

From that link, here’s a description of what the update is adding:

So, uh, random modifiers? That you have no control over? Just happening every now and then? I mean, I guess it could be interesting…

That’s my read, that this is an additional element of randomization that’s added to the game. I also included the link because it seemed notable that ongoing support is being handed off to Wushu while Undead Labs is basically completely focused on development of the third game.

Well, OK, I might reinstall SoD2 again some time in the future to check this out.

I will do this as well, play a session and have the time of my week, then will come back the next day and find the game’s world in the exact state I left it and will remember how much the passing time mechanic built up all the narrative of the previous game, despite thinking erroneously it was an horrible design decision ;(

I so hope the passing time punishment is back in 3!

Ugh man, I am so not on that bus with you. I do not miss it at all. I was having a LOT of fun with the new stuff from the last update, and now this addition is going to be fun.

Best of all, if you aren’t enjoying it, you can always turn it off and still enjoy all the other cool things they’ve been adding to this game over the years. All in all the changes have been very engaging and positive. I’m willing to give random events a day in court =)

I tried playing both games but it felt more like logistics and base management and less like smashing zombie heads in (which is my thing). Was I wrong?

The gameplay loop is going out and gathering supplies to survive, upgrading your base to make things easier, and eventually taking out plague hearts when you have enough resources. It’s kinda hard to avoid not smashing zombies throughout the entire process.

The higher you go in difficulty, the more it becomes a stealthy “don’t wake the zombies” kind of game, so I would say playing on normal or dread would be the sweet spot for zombie slayage.

There is a lot more zombie slaying now though because of the way new mechanics like sieges, infestations and slumbering plague hearts work. All of these gameplay mechanics have gotten complete makeovers over the years.