Steam Autumn/Holiday Sale 2015

How complicated is Elite Dangerous? Can you play with a XBox controller? Do you need to remember 2 dozen hot keys?

I play with a HOTAS, but before getting it, I was able to use M/K. Not sure about a controller.

There’s a pretty hefty lift in learning how to control your ship, but to me that was part of the fun. I crashed my ship a bunch.

Depends on your experience with sims (space or otherwise). It’s been awhile since I played any sort of sim for real (probably Tie Fighter) but after watching some videos I decided to get it, and it’s amazing and I got really into it right away. I played with an XBO controller. You need to remember about 4 or 5 keyboard buttons for minor things like lowering landing gear or initializing a jump to a new system, but most things can be done on the controller itself. I felt the default control scheme with a controller was perfect, myself.

I play with with mouse & keyboard. Never had an issue.

It is complicated though, no getting around it really, there are a bunch of commands you need to learn to fly effectively.

Thanks for the info. I guess I have some time to think about it without worrying about a flash sale.

If you have an apple or android device it’s currently on sale for a dollar in their stores.

The one time in the last 5 years I actually have a big shopping list for a Steam sale, and they fart out this.

So, is Project Cars any good? I’ve had my eye on it for a while, even though there seems to be so much hate for it on Steam. I’ve heard good things about Assetto Corso as well, but I heard the AI in that is pretty crap.

Thanks for the heads up on that price.

My only device is a Nook HD+, which Google Play says is compatible. I don’t do too much gaming on it, mostly just read. Would the game play OK on a small screen or would it involve a lot of scrolling around? I’ve played Lords of Waterdeep on an iPad and it is less than optimal.

Well, that Elite: Dangerous discussion mostly answers the question I was about to ask. A lot of games don’t appear purchasable for me at all (no price, no purchase button). Including Elite: Dangerous, the Bethesda back catalog, all Metal Gear games except Phantom Pain. If y’all are seeing a price, it must be a geographic restriction of some kind (or maybe a currency restriction; Steam in Switzerland was very recently switched from Euros to Francs).

I like this new sale format, it feels like the baseline discounts are better for recently released games than in past sales, and I was never very good at keeping up with the daily / sub-daily discounts. So I’ve got the opposite feeling from most of you; might well walk away from this with many more games than normal. There’s a dozen games that I want to play and that are definitely now at the right price. But I think I need to pare the list down because there’s too much overlap. E.g. the chances of me putting real time this year into three different puzzle games (Talos Principle, Big Pharma, Infinifactory) seem pretty low. So just one AAA open world game, one puzzle game, one 2d platformer, one (action?) RPG, and one strategy game. That’s the goal.

Take heart my friend, in 27 days they will kick off the Winter Sale, which will feature more games on sale with many having hopefully bigger discounts.

I also would not be surprised if they abandon the “new deal” and revert back to having at least Daily Deals during that sale. I have to think that having one (presumably lesser) discount on a game over the course of a 12 day sale makes for less overall sales than having the same discount for 10 days of the sale and a slightly steeper discount for 2 days when you game is featured and 10 times as many people decide it’s worth snatching up.

Yeah I’ll just buy a few games with a good discount that I might actually play between now and the next sale.

It’s a revolution!

We have this conversation every year-- the Thanksgiving sale is always crappy. Like Slainte said, the holiday sale is where it’s at.

You don’t even strictly need to do that, as those functions are accessible through the ship’s interface as well.

Industry Giant 2 is great - the best logistics game out there after the Anno series.

I picked up Farming Simulator 2015 (£15 including the expansion) and Just Cause 3. Wavering on Ori and the Blind Forest (I suspect I’ll get frustrated with the difficulty).

Thanks! That pretty much answers that question. I remember the general reception to the game was rather mixed.

Well I have been a total failure and bought loads thanks to the suggestions here even though I am deep in to Fallout 4.

Medieval Engineers
Rollers of the Realm
Industry Giant 2
Farming Sim 2015
Epic Battle Fantasy 4
Empyrion
Bridge Constructor
Bridge Constructor Medieval
Besiege
Subnautica

Looking for Just Cause 3 as well.

Went through the wishlist to see what was over 50% off, and picked these off the list:

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary (for the DLC)
Dungeon of the Endless™ - Pixel Edition
Sokobond
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Massive Chalice
The Banner Saga

Total damage $33. I didn’t buy much of anything in the last few sales, so I figured the time was ripe now to increase the backlog.

Is Sentinels of the Multiverse singleplayer friendly? It looks interesting, but looked very much like an MP game.

Notably NOT on sale are Anno 2205 and the Pillars of Eternity DLC. Both recent, yes, but hey you can dream.