Steam client causing mouse freezes?

So, recently I’ve started having a problem with my mouse freezing randomly. It only seems to happen when the Steam client is running and started happening a few months ago after one of the Steam updates. The cursor will randomly suddenly just freeze for about 10 seconds, then I hear a USB disconnect sound and a few seconds later it starts working again. It’s not a killer but is really annoying.

Has anyone else seen this? Or have any idea of what to do to stop it from happening?

Are you running AVG? Apparently, there is a documented problem listed.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1319962514591074113/

No, I use Kaspersky. It doesn’t freeze my PC like that issue. It seems like my mouse driver crashes and then reboots itself a few seconds later. I tried switching USB ports but it still does it. It also does it when using another mouse as well.

Just in case anyone ever has this issue, I finally managed to fix it. It didn’t have anything to do with Steam as far as I can tell unless Steam turned on a Windows setting somehow. After a lot of googling I managed to find the specific issue I had and a fix on the Microsoft site.

To fix it go to turn on/off windows features under Programs and Features and uncheck “tablet PC components” in the list there (if it’s checked). I’ve not had the problem since doing that. I have no idea why that was checked or even what it does.

I misread the thread title as “Steam cleaning mouse freezes.” Which sounds more fun.