Steam Holiday Sale 2014

I looked into Xenonauts a few months back, and it sounded like the end game was pretty sparse on content and didn’t feel as good as the first half of the game, which made me steer clear. In fact, I believe I just re-installed XCOM and tried out that Long War mod, which proved to be a ton of fun. And free.

Thanksgiving sale always sucks-- and anything you’re having difficulty deciding on for this sale, be assured that it will be on sale again for the xmas sale, so you might as well wait.

It being a tricky control scheme to grasp at the beginning supports the theme and is accounted for in level design.

Don’t do Rome II on Steam, btw. GMG’s got it for $12 (assuming you can access their VIP deals, and I think anyone who’s ever bought anything from them can).

Defense Grid 2 is on sale for 50% off at $12.49

You can wait & see if it goes lower, but what an incredible game! In addition to the 20 levels it comes with (which can be played with so many variants), it has user made levels and the level authors are cranking out mass amounts of maps. Very high quality! (see http://www.dg2freemaps.com/)

Today’s daily also includes the other Might & Magic and Castlevania games.

MM X Deluxe is 75% off.

Does that game also include the DLC? The page is a little confusing.

This might be a fun game:

Open Steam and where it says 5667 games on sale, click the “See All Specials” button. Then in the filters on the right, click “Games”. Then in the “Sort by” field at the top, select “Lowest Price”. (Ignore the bug that apparently puts Deus Ex games at the top of the lowest price list.)

Now look at the games in the list and recommend a game to the forum that costs less than $1.

Space hack is 19 cents. I think it’s crap, but 19 cents…

Yet another zombie defense is 67 cents. I bought it at 1.49 but havent played it yet.

On the side of games I’ve played, Ghost Master is 74 cents. Which is a pretty good deal for a decent game.

Moonbase commander is a genuinely good game and is 89 cents.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is $20.39 on Steam.

The better deal is at Green Man Gaming. It’s only $16.10 on the VIP program.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/green-thursday-vip/

Plus, it’s the “pre-order” Steam code!

I thought Ghost Master was terrible, but I picked it up a long time ago for $1, so I wasn’t heartbroken.

I only found 2 I’ve played and enjoyed under $1: Moonbase Commander ($0.89) and Spacechem ($0.99). Both are truly memorable, though Spacechem probably doesn’t appeal to everyone.

I’ll continue going through after eating some food and defusing thanksgiving family drama.

One Way Heroics at 89 cents. Overwhelmingly positive rating with 1442 votes.

Cthulhu Saves the World at 98 cents. Fun and simple JRPG.

SpaceChem at 99 cents. Nice puzzler.

Avernum 4 and 6 at 99 cents each. Great Spiderware RPG’s.

Larva Mortis at 99 cents. Fun shoot 'em up in the style of Binding of Issac. At 99 cents there can be no complaints.

One Way Heroics is as a as a as a amazing. Seriously, get it.

Moonbase Commander is also awesome.

I found something slightly amusing.

Check out Wizardy 7’s store page third screenshot.

I wonder where Steam got their screenshots from?

:)

How is M & M Heroes 6?

The complete edition is 9.99? I have not played this series since #4 so wondering if it is worth it?

I can’t comment on 6 - but I’ve tried to get into V several times and been frustrated by it. I’ve grown to much prefer the kings bounty series - which is a complete copy of HOMM but just better (at least for me).

Well, I already got it, but I’ll chuck it up my backlog a bit given your enthusiasm, Brian.

Many folks have called out some of the great <$1 games out there. I will add They Breathe, if you want an unsettling game about frogs.

Hostile Waters was unjustly unloved - great gameplay, with crazy Warren Ellis script and narrated by Tom Baker!

I really enjoyed They Breathe as well. It’s only 20 minutes long though.

Another short one I liked is Retro/grade. ~1h, more if you enjoy the challenge mode. Similar to guitar hero with a great original soundtrack and playable with a guitar controller. It’s dressed up as a reverse SHMUP where you travel back in time undoing all the bullets you destroyed enemy ships with.

Unfortunately the gameplay is arguably the worst in the series. Read some reviews for this one and see if you’d find it frustating or fun.

My main complaint is that the maps are way too big and I’ve lost interest in the scenario long before I can actually finish it.