Steam numbers

That Portal entry is wrong. The “lowest price” was free. There was a 24-hour giveaway back in 2011.

I’m wondering if that might be lowest price during the sale because CS:GO dropped lower in the past before the community complained about the game being too cheap and letting cheaters buy back in easily once they’re VAC banned. Lost Coast’s entry would also be incorrect because it’s been free for as long as I can remember, being a tech demo and all. Still, impressive/crazy to me that a game like Portal which has been free is on par with Civ V and roughly half of the numbers CS:GO reports. Although… if these numbers count free weekend players as owners, that would explain a lot (Civ V has had a handful of free weekends, iirc).

Yes they do.

However, my understanding is that the “owner” figures gradually settle back down after people login to Steam accounts that had the free games (the ownership figures contributed by said accounts only update when they login again to–for lack of the proper term–“check out” the game from their own libraries). A free weekend 3 months ago contributes a lot less to Steamspy than one a week ago.

That’s correct, when people login and they don’t have the game the numbers will correct themselves, so after a few months it should be ok.

New record, 12.2M concurrent users

Impressive how after all these years, they aren’t slowing down their growth, but increasing it:

Wow, that’s nuts!

How does it treat games bought elsewhere but that are Steam games? I bought Fallout 4 on GMG but payed on $45 or so. That’s no reflected in the lowest prices noted above.

You are right. Take it as much as an approximation.

Moar data

Keep in mind that the GTAV numbers are solid. The Steam version was only available through Steam. (Retail units and licenses from other sites went to the Rockstar Store version.) That’s a lot of cheddar for the secondary option.

It pleases me that at least ARK made less than Rocket League.

Those Rocket League numbers are definitely skewed though since anyone who preordered a Steam Controller or a Link got a free copy, and I personally got a second free copy in a PC bundle. Not enough to cut its revenue in half, mind.

Obviously The Witcher 3 numbers should be double of that, as it sold also in GoG, and strongly.

Are those two charts supposed to have the same data? Counterstrike: Go and Civ 5 are missing from the second and Cities: Skylines, H1Z1, and Dying Light have different numbers.

Edit: Oh I see, for some reason the first chart doesn’t include Jan-March. As far as I can tell the article doesn’t explain why those months aren’t include other than “some big games released in April.”

The fiscal year starts in April?

Whose fiscal year would matter? My guess is that SteamSpy only started collecting information last April. The difference between the two tables would then come from the first table needing full historical information that can not be backfilled (what were the prices of games at specific points in time, and when did the sales of a game appear to happen), while the second one just needs the final tally (how many games were sold in total, no matter when or at what price).

I have no idea why fiscal year would matter. It was a guess based on the data starting with April.

One is games released in 2015, the other is all games.

>>>>>>>>>>>
Valve is upgrading its network infrastructure with 100Gbps Internet ports to keep pace with big traffic growth. The news came in an announcement yesterday from Valve’s network operator, Level 3 Communications. The press release exists mainly to promote Level 3’s network, but it provides some details about Valve’s massive bandwidth needs.

Steam’s traffic levels are growing about 75 percent year-over-year, currently totaling 450 to 500 petabytes per month or four to five exabytes a year, the announcement said. Standard game downloads are 10 to 40 gigabytes, and the Steam platform “has over 100 million users, averaging more than 10 million concurrent players and over two billion minutes played logged per day.”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-Todd, on mobile