Steam Stuff - What Has the Digital Distribution Giant Done Lately?

For anybody else who’s been having trouble with Steam streaming of non-Steam games:

Today’s public update FINALLY fixes the issue after three long months of Valve mostly ignoring the issue.

Yay!

Diego

For those of you struggling with your backlog (who here isn’t it?!) or paralyzed by too many choices staring at you in steam (I can help you with this latter one, just learn to cope with the fact the game you didn’t choose to play was in fact more fun) , Valve has heard your whimpers and is here to help:

It only recommends stuff you haven’t played

Then it’s useless to me, I usually at least start the stuff I buy, and until recently I’d usually idle them for a bit to mine out the cards for sale.

Oh but never fear, steam labs also has deep dive so you can find other games similar to those you’ve idled so you can add some more to the idling.

Yeah, my habits have pretty much rendered all this stuff useless to me, though I’ll freely admit that it’s my own fault.

Some further updates that Steam are hoping will assist you with your Steamdoku.

And now I have new words for two things I do. Dammit.

Truedat.

But if you could sell your indie games you might go buy more indie games with that money.

But this will never happen.

No it actually won’t because the amount of money you would sell it for would be a lot less then another indie game from the developer.

But there’s all sorts of anti-competitive shit going on, why put the onus on customers?

Because the barrier of resale would be so low as to destroy the very thing we seek to improve and cherish.

When any physical item is used and resold, there is a loss of value. When a digital good is used and resold, there is no loss of value.

So, there is direct competition between used digital games and new digital games that wasn’t there before and isn’t there for physical goods.

And since you already got value from it, it would drive the price well below a level that is sustainable. After all, you have played the game, so having it sold for pennies on the dollar is a net gain for you.

And ultimately, this spiraling price would turn Steam from a store into just a lending library.

Maybe they could let you sell a game second hand but the devs could code in a few minor bugs or missing textures so as to devalue the game a bit.

I’M JOKING

Book publishers have agreements with libraries where libraries can only loan books a certain number of times before they are obligated to buy them again. That’s one possible approach.

For real? That must be a US thing. Never heard of it here, where there’s a
royalties scheme for libraries.

Yeah, no government stuff like that in the US. In the US the government is always supposed to be at a disadvantage versus private interests.

IIRC that was a point of contention for ebooks, but there’s nothing for physical ones, and there cannot be one by law

Yeah, I meant ebooks woops.

For the time being. Hopefully things remain that way.

So, here’s a question. Given the number of game streaming services coming out, is there a danger of Steam becoming another Blockbuster? Is all gaming going end up being streaming? Will there be a Netflix of game steaming that will put Steam out of business?