Steam Stuff - What Has the Digital Distribution Giant Done Lately?

Both would probably work. I posted some of my short feedback in the indie thread.

I apologize in advance for asking such a stupid question and not being able to figure this out myself.

Now that I recently bought a second computer, and have Steam running on two computers, Steam seems to think that if I have a game installed on my older computer, that the only thing I would want to do on my new computer is to stream it from older computer. I see no right click options or options on the store page to actually install the game on the new computer. If I go to the store page for a game, and click “play now”, then instead of giving me install options, it says “you’re about to stream this game from another computer of yours” that type of thing, so I cancel out.

How do I install a game locally?

EDIT: I FOUND THE SOLUTION! Apparently I just had to post the stupid question to first embarrass myself.

Solution. When you go to the game’s page, there’s a big “Stream” button, and there’s a little down arrow you can press by the green “Stream” button, which lets you pick your local machine, and once you do, the green “Stream” button turns into a blue “Install” button instead. Phew!

To be fair to myself, that was hard to spot.

Haha, when I first got a Surface I installed Steam and must have somehow Installed a few games to see how they ran. But then a week or so later when I got back to trying to game on it all I could do was stream it and all I could see was the Stream button. I spent about a half hour farting around trying to figure out if I really had previously downloaded a game or if I was just remembering wrong. Finally, like you, I stumbled across the whole Stream vs Install button situation.

With all the reveal announcements over and the summer sale started, I always enjoy seeing what are the most wishlisted games.

Dying Light 2 at the top.

Interesting list - Dying Light 2 is one of the few near the top that I have on my own list.

I’m pleased to see My Time at Sandrock relatively high up the list, that’s one I’m really looking forward to next year.

Nice to see Age of Empires IV in the top section there at least. Maybe RTS games aren’t dead? I keep thinking Microsoft trying to bring that franchise back seems like throwing money down a sinkhole, but I’ll be happy if I’m wrong. For nostalgia’s sake, obviously, not because I’m going to suddenly start playing RTS games again. Probably.

RTS might make an easier comeback if developers stopped trying to punish certain playstyles. What do they care if someone likes to turtle? I feel like the genre lost a lot when it became a who can defeat the other person within five minutes rush.

Yep. One of the reasons why I loved Supreme Commander (and Forged Alliance) is that certain factions were really good at Turtling. The game is still economy, economy, economy, whether you’re turtling or rushing, but if you turtle well, you can be the first to get an experimental (the giants that make the late game so interesting).

I didn’t play the remaining Age of Empires games, but I remember there were certain factions in the first game that were much better at turtling, and factions like the Assyrians that pretty much relied on rushing and finishing the game early.

Did the other games you’re thinking of really punish turtling? Maybe it was just a little harder to get to the right turtling strategy?

Let’s see I played Age of Empires III, didn’t like it at all. I am trying to remember what I played after that. I know before I loved Age of Empires 1 and 2, Mythology was an all time favorite, Battle for Middle Earth, adored both of those… and then I remember reading about developers and gamers, to be fair, complaining about turtling, and the new games all came out and there was all this focus on rushing, just tons and tons of guides on how to rush as soon as possible, StarCraft II hit and after that I didn’t really touch the genre much until Northgard which I did explore but didn’t like. I realized I would’ve like it better as something slower than what it was.

I also got excitement from the genre by building a lot, defending a lot and then having massive wars with like some of the top units coming out and just getting joy at seeing hey we have our top stuff and this is a battle for the ages!.. but the genre seemed to prefer going to hey grab a couple of swordsmen, see if you can wipe out their gathers in 10 minutes and bask in the glory of a quick win because the other person didn’t use the right guide.

It just wasn’t fun anymore. And what’s the point of having top tier units no one ever gets to anyway.

RTS started to die the day Command and Conquer games stopped having walls.

Yeah, I feel like the genre was a victim of it’s own success in some ways. We’ve already had the perfect RTS games for whatever type of RTS you like. For me that’s Warlords Battlecry games, Sacrifice and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. There’s not much you can evolve the genre after that, except to actually radically evolve it.

Which is what happened.

For the people that like turtling, we got Tower Defense. And for the people that like rushing, we got MOBAs. Kind of. That’s an over simplification, but still. Those evolved the genre into another form.

While RTS is certainly a pale shade of its former glory days I don’t entirely see the Zerg rush strategy dominating the whole genre.

Sins of a Solar Empire and Ashes of the Singularity are 2 quick examples that move at a slow stately pace that rely much more on strategic planning than crazy actions-per-minute clicking.

And walls were used for defense and turtling tactics! Which the devs seemed to turn on answering to specific group of players that only wanted games played in specific ways.

I’ll still keep an eye on any Age of Empires game though.

I’d guess Starcraft and the e-sport scene had something to do with it too.

What people am I if I can’t stop playing AI War 2?

You got your own little mini-genre that’s an evolution of RTS! Congrats. I’ve still not tried those games.

It’s funny I’ve spent my entire life completely ignoring RTS’s only to get totally sucked into one harder than any game I’ve played in years. To me it’s like chess in space masquerading as an RTS.

My tiny game group and I liked to play team comp stomp. It was completely removed from esports, but they kept balancing and rewarding and punishing playstyles until they got these short early victories. I am guessing an hour+ RTS game of designing neat little bases and them running at each other with mass armies doesn’t garner that many clicks.

Yeah, it’s those other genres that did it. It turns out a lot of people that were playing RTS games really just wanted to play defence, or just control the heroes, etc. The number of people who have stuck with the broader original style is really low and it’s hard to make any money in that space.

Imo the main problem with RTS games is that in most of them the optimal strategy is to jump from screen to screen non stop. APM is related to this, but when you can only view a slice of the battlefield for half a second before jumping elsewhere in order to be competitive, playing is no longer fun. Tooth and Tail, Sacrifice and Kohan each fixed this issue in slightly different ways. I want the quick games of RTSs with the decision making of turn-based games.