STEAM Summer Sale 2018

Thank you for all the advice on roguelikes, everyone! Certainly something to think about before the sale comes. I don’t have Shiren the Wanderer or a PS Vita anymore (stupid, stupid, stupid-why did you trade it?) but I do have a copy of Etrian Mystery Dungeon still shrink wrapped from when I bought it two years ago. I wonder jf that would be a suitable starting point.

It is very different, and I’d argue, a lot more confusing than a Shiren game. More akin to a “tradtionnal” Japanese strategy game — which means it goes all over the place!
@Scotch_Lufkin had cracked most of its systems on the game’s thread. In our house, it was quite the confusion.
I think that Shiren the Wanderer is vastly superior.

I am looking for the ultimate discounted price on Age of Wonders 3

That’s another one that I probably could have mentioned. More that I forgot on the first post: Crypt of the Necrodancer, Hand of Fate, Leap of Fate, 868-HACK, Dungeon of the Endless, Atom Zombie Smasher, Unexplored, Coin Crypt, One-way Heroics, Cardinal Quest 2, Depths of Tolagal, Has-Been Heroes. There really has been a ridiculous explosion of good games in this space lately.

And looking through my wishlist, here are a few more that I can’t personally vouch for yet, but have heard good things about: A Robot Named Fight, City of Brass, Cogmind, 20XX, Conquest of Elysium 4, Runers, Sky Rogue, Rogue Aces, Sublevel Zero, Duskers, Basingstoke.

I haven’t played Etrian Mystery Dungeon, but I’ve heard mixed impressions, particularly that the party system winds up being overly fiddly and slow relative to the value it brings. Also, modern non-Shiren Mystery Dungeon games tend to put too much emphasis on grindy between-run progression for my taste. So probably not a terrible place to start since you already have a copy, but don’t judge the whole genre by it.

I really liked this game. I think it is a steal, even at its non-sale price, $4.99.

Caves of Qud - it’s a nice roguelike.

I might have made an impulse purchase of War of the Chosen, but then realized I don’t own XCOM2 yet (oops), so that may be something I will be hoping to see on sale 😏

My back log is probably the largest it’s ever been but mayne

Frostpunk
For the King
Vemintide II
Jurassic World Evolution (probably won’t be on sale)
Shoppe Keep 2 (very iffy)

Yeah, if someone is looking and has not played either of these, look no further.

I don’t know about Dungeon of the Endless, especially as an introduction to the permadeath genre. Hardly ever has a game given me such a feeling that I was wasting my time. Maybe because it felt like it held many promise, but turned out to be more and more of the same, with no real learning taking place.

Mafia 3 for me.

Ohhh, fighting talk! I love Dungeon of the Endless, it’s such an interesting blend of resource management, defending, risk and reward. You can have rough runs but for the most part I think Amplitude got the balance right and the proc. gen. floors, different pods, tech, gear and character combos mix things up no end. You could say… endlessly.

Cogmind is a new one that’s actually pretty good. Still Early Access, I think, but it’s pretty playable and fun (and hard) right now.

EDIT: and yeah, Dungeon of the Endless is brilliant.

Factorio will not go on sale. The devs have already said that a couple times, it’s p much locked at its final price now.

Is this supposed to be in the “seasonal gaming” thread, by chance?

Doh! How did that happen? That’s the second time that’s happened to me. Weird.

That’s no way to get your game into my backlog.

shrug still worth it, imo!!

Well there’s your problem. It shouldn’t be going in your backlog. You should be playing it right now.

Soooooon.