Steam Summer Sale 2020

Seems unlikely, given Steam explicitly forbids that. Do you have an example?

It’s an impression I get. I don’t have the exact numbers because I don’t track them.

Some I “feel” off about is for instance Divinity 2, which is S$49 before discount. I do not remember it having such a high base price. And XCOM2 is S$79 which is way higher than even when it first launched.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 1.37.41 PM

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 1.36.58 PM

Deadcells too I think.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 1.39.00 PM

There seems to be a general increase in price for many of the titles that caught my attention, and it seemed to be gradual, as in it started before the sales. It does not happen with every publisher.

So I got this distinct impression that certain games became more expensive as time went by, instead of cheaper.

Edit: I think I’ll take back Divinity 2. I think the price was unchanged. But the others did change.

Are you in the US? Your prices are very different from mine:

Edit: Is that Sing dollars?
Edit2: Just saw your reply.

I’m in Singapore. Which has its regional pricing.

I don’t see it with XCom 2.

https://steamdb.info/app/268500/ or

Dead Cells

https://steamdb.info/app/588650/

It seems I can’t link regional pricing but I check S’pore dollars and didn’t find anything.

I think that’s the price for the digital deluxe version

Yayyyyyy!

I think XCom was $49.90 when it launched years ago.

And I remember Deadcells from $19.90 to $24 now

I don’t know abut XCom 2 but SteamDB said the price remained the same.

Dead Cells had a steady price increases as it moved through the EA phases. It was in the news for the game too if I recall.

Edit. The Meg is such a boring movie. I dug up the article for when it went out of EA:

“The standard digital edition of Dead Cells goes for $25/£21/€25, on Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store, and there’s also be a boxed edition available, with a concept art book and soundtrack, for preorder for $35 or your regional equivalent.”

I’m not doing well this sale. Star Traders, 1980 era graphics weren’t cutting it so a refund for that one.
I’m keeping Stardew Valley, cause it has a bit of charm. Realistically, it is a too simple and slow game for me to really play much.

Dawn of Man is my last hope. Thanks for the feedback on Transport II, I took it off my list.

There are different trends for different games, but the most common one nowadays is to keep the base price at full price for a very long time and slowly offer progressively larger discounts in sales, made more impressive by the large -%. A few years ago this replaced the previously prevailing system of gradually dropping the base price over time and offering the same percentage discount each sale.

It probably explains my perception. I’ll try to note it the next time I encounter this again. I think I got the same impression with Paradox stuff. And the Total War stuff too.

But I think I’ll start tracking so that I can be sure I’m not imagining things.

Well, this is my damage so far!

For some reason, I don’t have Prey, which is weird, and want to play it again.
Killing Floor 2 has been of interest for me for quite some time, so figured it was time.

Hardspace and Curse are both Early Access games, so I’ll hold off as long as possible, but both has gotten excellent reviews, and especially Hardspace is right up my alley. ESPECIALLY with the habitat plans they may expand on, making it possible to make the home you want!

This sale I splurged on:

• Until You Fall
  • Outward
  • Sunless Skies
  • Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Prophecy
  • Gunfire Reborn
  • Iratus: Lord of the Dead
  • Ancient Enemy

I think I’m done! But no promises… :)

You mean that you played Prey (2017) before and you don’t have it now? Maybe you played it on console?

Yup - thats what I was thinking as well :-)

My haul:

I’m a sucker for tower defense games, and people have been praising the Terminator game. I love the future setting (from the first two movies and the old Dark Horse comic books), but I’m a bit wary of how it plays. Starships was a no-brainer though, have it on iOS and this seemed like a good price point to pick it up on PC as well.

My main purchase has been Farming Simulator 19. I bought that for my Dad recently, because he owns a farm (been in the family since the 1930s), still likes to drive tractors & can plow a straight furrow despite being in his 80s, and my brother recently upgraded Dad’s computer. It supports multiplayer, so since we can’t meet for lunch every few weeks like we normally do, I thought we could do some virtual farming together & voice chat instead.

Oh, nice purchase. Let me know if you have any questions. I’m not super hardcore into it, but I’ve played a bunch and am somewhat familiar with the modding scene, which is pretty important to get the most out of it.

To be fair this 100% happened in previous steam sales. It was only a year or so ago that Steam instituted a policy that you can’t discount a game if you’ve increased the price within the last 30 days (or something along those lines).