Steam Summer Sale 2021

fun

Hmm, there are many flavors of RPG out there.

If you liked Darkest Dungeon but thought it was too much grind and want something kind of similar mechanics but more fun:

If you’d like something like the original Diablo:

If you want a 3D dungeon diver playing as a vampire with procedural levels and loot:

For an old school Wizardry/Ultima inspired RPG try:

I love this little one man project roguelike (with a party):

If you want a single player RPG set in space with gameplay very similar to EVE Online:

This is a great one man ARPG. Incredible for one person, really. Very, very fun:

This one has no replay value, really, but is very fun:

Here’s a fairly unknown traditional roguelike with the best graphics and overall presentation outside of ToME and ADOM.

And… I think that’s all I got. I’d mention Solasta but I think you’re aware of that one. Same with Wildermyth. Hopefully, you will find one of these to your liking.

CMO isn’t that complicated really. Once you know how to setup patrol zones for your planes and issue orders that is like, 90% of the game.

That’s all you got???

Just kiddin’. Awesome post, very helpful. Thanks!

Me: (looks over list) Astrox Imperium looks pretty cool, I’ll try that one!
Steam: Uh, you bought this in the 2019 Steam Summer Sale and have 19 hours played. Move along…

Thanks from me too!

These ‘Forge your Fate’ stories are absolutely hilarious. Thanks to whoever above mentioned them - I usually skip all the stickers/games/whatever fluff during sales, but these are SO worth it.

A lot of wonderful choices there.

Some more rpg (perhaps rpg adjacent in the case of the second one)

A Russian Fallout sort of

Mount and Blade with RTwP combat in a Central Asian setting

And a turn based wuxia rpg

There is also one called simply Tale of Wuxia. Very similar but the first half of the game is a time management sim that can get boring and has the warning that unless you follow a guide it is possible to miss fairly big chunks of content. I’d stick with the Pre-Sequel.

So far I’ve grabbed a couple of Lock n Load packs (Normandy 1 and Nam).

The tank roguelike Armoured Commander 2 that was mentioned above.

Bought but returned Warplan, I still have the newest Strategic Command I haven’t played so no reason to get another WW2 hex n chit game that I’ll stare at but won’t play.

Project Wingman.

And broke down last night and grabbed the Legendary ME. I’ve played a few hours of ME1 and a little more of ME2, but I’m hoping for a hundred or so hours of Sci-fi RPG goodness.

Oh, not on sale, but @BrianRubin and the gang over in the FF14 thread sucked me back into subbing that for another couple of months.

And Tony Hawk on the Switch is calling to me oh so sweetly.

Yayyyy!

Watch this and then decide:

P Gatcomb’s tutorials

Gives you a good sense of the “complexity” and the fun! Those tutorials helped me understand a lot of the subtleties of why things worked or didn’t.

Age of Wonders Planetfall and Shadow Empires are now mine. After 2 hours with each I know I have loads of thematic 4x ahead in the next year.

It’s the same with me. Gameplay is always the most important, but I need a game to look decent as well. It’s unfortunate, but it also keeps me away from some indie games I would probably otherwise like.

I’m always hovering over the Diety Empires buy button because of the MOM nostalgia, but I see the graphics and just back off again.

Your kind of fun might not fit my kind of fun. It just does not convey what you think is fun, it is such a general term, it became useless.

Isn’t the point of playing games fundamentally entertainment? What entertains me might not entertain you. How is that distinguishable from “fun” for each of us?

Same question for “enjoyable”, “challenging”, etc.

Its subjective all the way down, man.

(Not to derail, I’m sure this has been covered extensively in multiple threads.)

Yup. You agree with Tom. This is why, if you’re trying to convey information about a game, saying it was “fun,” “enjoyable,” or “challenging” fails to accomplish your goal. Was it enjoyable because it’s about cats and you love cats? Was it challenging because it’s a rhythm game and you have no rhythm? Or are you a touring drummer, and the rhythm game was still challenging for you? If so, why? If you gave us those details, you would have succeeded in conveying some information.

You’re still ALLOWED to simply call a game fun. But you should know that (unless we have other information about you and the game) you’re not communicating anything by doing so.

Sure, if all you say is “this game is fun”. I’d expect a game review to be ever so slightly more verbose than that!

100%. This is why I trust Tom’s review. Not because I always agree with him. It’s because when I don’t agree with him, I know why.

Just like putting a numeric score on a game!

No one says that (anymore)