Steam Summer Sale 2022 and Autumn too!

Happy with my picks and likely done till the next sale:

• Axes and Acres

• Command and Conquer remastered

• Kingdoms and Castles

• Trials of Fire

So I’ve now tried every game I bought in the sale and so far they have all been very good, FYI. My personal favorite has been Desecrators so far.

That said I might refund Age of Empires IV. So far a lot of it I’ve run into doesn’t allow the player to save games, and that just really rubs me wrong.

Try this out Brian. I will give it a shot later today when I am booted back into Windows. I guess this will probably only work in campaign mode.

Edit: it is nutty that they wouldn’t allow it elsewhere. They already are saving data for recording the games so they can be watched, it can’t be much of a step beyond that to make it possible.

Well yeah the campaogn mode seems to be the only place you can save a game. It’s ridiculous.

Only game I purchased, played, and even finished during the summer sale was Out Wild’s Echoes of the Eye. Good stuff.

Skirmish mode allegedly has a save option, as well (currently on the fence on whether to get this or wait until it’s on a better sale)

It works in skirmish. I just tried it with a quick game against the AI.

Here is my haul - many of the things were DLC that I just got tired of being on my wishlist - Northgard, Stars in Shadow, Armello, American Truck Simulator, Phoenix Point. I don’t even know if I’ll play ATS again! I like the scenery but I don’t really care about trucks.

King Arthur: A Knight’s Tale and Songs of Conquest were the biggies.

If I buy anything it will probably be DLC for some of the older games I have.

Picked up the following from Fanatical using the 10% discount from their Reventure promo:
Lonely Mountains + DLC
Persona 4 Golden
Both Rimworld DLCs

I’ll grab a few things from Steam on Tuesday after seeing what’s in the Humble Choice bundle (probably nothing).

I picked up Diddly-Squat as well. Could not be happier with my purchase.

Any opinions on Rome Expeditions vs King Arthur A Knight’s tale? They seen similar and both feel like something I’d like, and neither are on a deep enough discount to warrant getting both, but I would like to get one of them. Just not sure which…?

King Arthur Knights Tale has great replayability because you want to try out different builds and characters (different morality choices give you different characters). I also feel that the AI is very well done. I am not great at these games which gives me the advantage of being able to play a long time on Normal and still look forward to a harder challenge. Most Youtube videos have stated the AI is well done (that I have watched for some pointers).

The game has made me start reading some King Arthur stories (I bought Kindle Unlimited and going to start reading the first book in Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord Series series which I have heard is great).

I never heard of the Roman game so will look into eventually depending on what others have to say.

I would suggest getting it on Steam and trying it for the two hours.

Note: Read through the dedicated thread as some are reporting performance issues on lower end computers. I didnt have any problems but my computer is fairly robust.

Good news! I got over my damn self. Here’s what I decided to pick up:

I saw a youtube video about a game that is a city builder/survival game where the goal is to cure the zombies. I cannot remember the name of the game.

Edit:
Zombie Cure Lab (not released yet)

Oh well I thought I might give it a try if it was on sale and it is not even out - but further searching found a demo:

I’ve played the first Expeditions game, which was OK but ultimately I didn’t see it through to the end. A Knight’s Tale seemed more appealing to me and I got it - but I don’t have experience with Expeditions Rome. Not a lot of help, I know :-)

Rome is a fine game, but it also has a lot of quicks, probably because with each iteration of the expedition games, they add/modify the concept of the games. This latest one is a lot more of a roman x-com style game with named characters that deviate horrendously from history, even though they have historic counterparts.
Its fun, but had some jank and the itemization isn’t that good or interesting. It also has a crafting system that is okay’ish.

King Arthur is a great game, with a lot of inspired ideas, great gameplay and again is xcom style game with named characters, based on Arthurian legend. Its also a massively sprawling game, where not everything is obvious, and its clear, like all Neocore games, that it’s a massive labour of love.

My money would be on King Arthur, simply because its the most ambitious and interesting.

You MAY want to look into this as well, which is a GREAT 40K warhammer style Xcom game.

Its a great time to be fan of Xcom style games!

My haul so far.

Slipways. Wow, thank god for top 10 game lists, cause this would not hit my radar screen without Tom and others. One short review described it as casual puzzle game. Naw it Space 4x, for builders, stripped down to the essence, colonizing planets. No fighting, but the colonizing takes a fraction of the time of regular Space 4x. Very nice, interface and easy to use. For $11.89 a real bargain.

A huge amount of depth for a game that you can finish on hour or two max.

Phoenix Point. Played about 10 hours, a solid game, but I think Xcom2 and DLC is better.

Democracy 4: Haven’t play it yet. My expectation are low, single developer games are almost always disappointing, but political games are awfully rare.

On the fence.
War at Sea
King Arthur: Midevil tales

This is great, you’ll love it.

Got Tiny Combat Arena, finally. Looking forward to that.

For an additional $2.37 I picked up Orbt XL, CAT Interstellar, and Side Meier’s Ace Patrol Bundle. Because cost of a medium fries.

Been on the fence about Slipways. The word “puzzle” in a lot of the reviews scared me. I want to feel like I’m simulating, not unpuzzling. But @Strollen’s comments and @BrianRubin’s review on the page might push me over on it…