Steamworld Dig 2, twice the Digging twice the Metroidvania.

The thing that made me give up on the caves is that you have to go through them all with one life bar. I don’t think I have the patience to master them to that level, but maybe someday.

I continue to make my way through this game, thanks to Game Pass for PC. This weekend I finally got the upgrade that gave me a fire pickaxe, which lets me move those giant robot things that were blocking my way in various places.

Now I was trying to remember where all I’ve seen those things. It’s so interesting to go back over old territory in this game. Sometimes you can’t reach areas you could reach before, because you dug too much soil, so you can’t reach certain places. But then you receive tools like the hookshot, and suddenly going back you realize that you now CAN reach certain areas again.

It’s all done so well, and it’s such a joy to play. And apologies to @Telefrog, but this has got to be the most visually stunning 2D game I’ve ever played.

So with Dig 2 on gamepass, I gotta finish the first game… I am shocked at how close I am to the end. I started playing it in 2014 and then again in 2017 and now I am nearing the end in 2019. It’s a really long game! D:

Also this spoiler from the 1st game:

That’s amazing. I didn’t catch that when I played it!

Finished up last night, onward to the next game.

I just finished Steamworld Dig 2. Such a great game. Maybe now I should track down the first game. Or one of the other Steamworld games, if they’re all this good.

Steamworld Heist us good too and very different.

Heist is one of my favourite games so I’d (obviously!) recommend it.

Aw, hells yes! This game has a hookshot! The best method of travel in video gaming, bar none. From Bionic Commando, to the Worms series, to the Just Cause games, every game is made better with a hookshot. Traversing in this game just got fifty times more better.

Check out The Messenger, too.

Oh, I should add: I started Steamworld Dig 2 a couple weeks ago. I knew I would like it, since I loved the first and I heard many great reviews. So it’s lived up to expectations, although I have to admit that like the first game, I have sort of flagged on it about 2/3rds (?) of the way through? I’m trying to get to three different machines in different parts of the underground… Is that close to the end and are there incredible things I’m missing if I don’t keep going?

Well hell yea, thanks for this.