Steamworld Heist - Cargo Commander meets Valkyria Chronicles with Space Cowbots?

I’ll give you a little tip if you don’t mind save-scumming a tad.

If you take a shot or move into a room and immediately don’t like the results, quit to the main menu and hit “continue”. The game seems to auto-save (on the Switch at least) at the start of your turn. Towards the end when things got pretty challenging for me I would have my heavy weapon guy (no laser sight, highest chance to fuck everyone) go first and if that went sideways, or a critical kill didn’t land like I needed it to, I could reset back to the beginning of the round very, very quickly (load times were fast as hell). I wouldn’t recommend that for trying to get better at the game, but if you are looking to have fun and win without going down to casual (which I did a few times, it didn’t feel any different than normal, honestly, so I stuck with normal for 90% of my play through), this might be a good tip for you.

Please, don’t!
I hated the game when I played it with keyboard and mouse: it’s finicky, prone to make you miss about any shot because the darn thing is so sensitive. Hell, even if you don’t miss, just aligning a shot is an exercise in patience.
When I switched to gamepad (which was a bit of a work, as the game didn’t recognize mine natively), it made everything so much easier. Shots began to be properly aimed, in that Worms way the game expect to emulate.
I was thinking this might have been one of the issues you experienced with the game but preferred to not mention it of fear of sounding stupid, but really, keyboard and mouse controls in this gamepad focused game are a freaking nightmare.

I play on an Xbone pad and it’s perfect.

I played it on the Vita so had no choice, but the controls were perfect. I’m pretty sure my friend who didn’t get on with Heist will have used mouse and keyboard so… good point! (I should ask him, in the name of science.)

It’s been a while since I played this, but this really stuck in my mind. There are just too many times that your bot placement when you complete an objective basically determines if you wipe or succeed, and it’s totally arbitrary and un-telegraphed. It’s just straight up bullshit.

I did complete the game, but that element caused a ton of frustration.

Oh Gawd yes. This so much, and I also started on mk on PC. So much better with controller.

@Tman This (and the other SteamWorld games) are some of my favorites. I reinstalled and started playing to see if I could remember what problems you running into. I use mouse/keyboard as well, and don’t really have any problems with it. Though I use the keyboard for precise aiming/shooting. While it lets you aim and shoot with the mouse, I only do that when it is an obvious shot.

You mention the grenade paths aren’t predictable. I don’t have that issue, and so I’m wondering if you are handling the weapon sway? Whenever you aim with any weapon, the weapon sways a bit, and you need to hit space when it pointing where you want it to go. I certainly can miss, but it usually is a result of me messing up with predicting when the weapon is going to be where I want it.

That might be too obvious, but I seem to remember that there was some aiming mechanic that I didn’t pick up right away and it might have been that.

Hope you figure it out.

Ya, it’s just not clicking. I end up ALT-F4’ng to reset and I said “fuck this game” so many times, despite all the things it does right, it’s just not fun.

Uninstalled.

Thanks all for trying to help me figure this game out. So surprising that so many have no problem and I’m just plagued with frustration.