Steel Division: Normandy '44 - A Eugen/Paradox Joint

In single player, I really appreciate it when a game features the ability to issue commands while paused.

I ma intrigued by this because I haven’t had a ww2 rts since CoH. I couldn;t really get into CoH2.

One, small, thing though, this game starts with D-Day, right? To me, that’s missing like, 2/3rds of the war?

So much to explore…

Gotta start somewhere and D-Day and the breakout from normandy will sell best to western europe and the US.

Grasviteam’s new game just dropped and it focuses on Tunisia 1943.

I am not very good at this game.

I pulled the trigger on this today as my first full-game game purchase of 2017 (there was an obligatory EUIV expansion a month ago). Given that MP in Eugen games doesn’t interest me a lick, here’s hoping for decent campaign support going forward.

I picked this up today, and can’t wait to fire it up. @schurem More two-fisted gaming for men!

And this with episodes of American Gods and Better Call Saul waiting, too. Too many goodies before bedtime!

If Bismarck can play Graviteam Tactics but not this game then I’m definitely out!

This game feels like it needs a pause button to issue orders, but then you realize its a real time game and your pause and order wish would have made little difference. I will play it some more because I like my Operation:Cobra type mechancs in Normandy but … I dunno. Even on slow mo it seems fast. Does anyone know what I mean?

Sadly I havent found much time to play this one. Eugen games are meant to feel fast. Overwhelm you with information. It isn’t for nothing that an old american expression for ‘troops in contact’ is ‘fuck! we’re in the shit man!’ :P Your attention is the most precious commodity in this game (as it is in real life). Spend it wisely.

Its still early access meaning balance and speed and such arent quite done yet. Took 'em years to get right with red dragon.

So this is officially out today and not seeing many reviews yet. How’s the single player? By any chance did they add a pause and give orders option?

Not sure if anyone here can answer that for you just yet. Paradox only sent out campaign beta keys to a bunch of nobody Youtubers, none of whom are actually any good at the game. All I can say right now is that there are three linear campaigns (one each for the Americans, Germans and I believe the Brits) and that I don’t believe you can outright pause the game to issue orders in single player.

You can slow it way the F down to bullet time and queue up orders that way. It even visualises your orders if you ask it to. Neat.

After adoring Red Dragon’s 2nd Korean War campaign, I’m finding myself not at all enjoying SD’s campaign missions so far. They’re heavily scripted and remind me of playing one of the old school asymmetric RTS.

The RPS review gave it their site’s seal of recommendation but said the campaigns were the weakest part and emphasized the wrong aspects of the game.

I do actually agree with that. Having played the first US mission (and heard that it doesn’t really get any better from more than just RPS), the missions seem to be very scripted and very dull. History is a bit of a noose tied around the neck of the two Allied campaigns, as only the German one goes ahistorical by imagining Rommel defying his orders and slamming the British beachhead immediately. The US and British are tied to adhering to roughly historical outcomes, and the whole affair is supremely unexciting.

The very first mission has the player taking an assortment of airborne troops and capturing a city just inside of Utah Beach, which you then have to hold until the forces on the beach can fight to you. You are given secondary objectives to go hunting for artillery and anti-tank pieces and, while they are presented as secondary objectives, they are actually essential. Failure to eliminate all four of the 88s will prevent the tanks on the beach from getting to your village in time to trigger the next phase of your mission. Depending on when you realize this and reposition your limited forces to pursue these out-of-the-way objectives, you may already be too late. If you manage to get the Shermans to the town you’re holding, they proceed to unceremoniously annihilate every German unit that you’ve been fighting off for the last 20 minutes. It’s a massive and extremely sudden anticlimax to the whole affair.

The one good thing I will say is that, while you cannot outright pause the game, the bullet time speed setting is effectively paused and does allow for orders to be issued. This also applies in skirmishes, which are thankfully much better than the campaign.

The voice work for the campaigns is also hilariously bad, with some superb examples in the tutorials, which I played through half for the achievements and half to hear how that poor voice actor was going to mangle the script he had been given for each mission.

hilariously bad voice work is a bit of a eugene thing. remember ‘steeelth’ and never forget!

IMO the Eugen stuff has had a grand total of one good campaign, and that was the one in ALB.

I’ll going to play the tutorials and then just go skirmish.

oh im gonna give those campaigns a good hard try. the allied ones at least. i feel icky playing nazis but i love that american machinegunner who declares that ‘this machine kills fascism’ when you click him.

The final campaign in European Escalation was still my all-time favorite Eugen campaign just for how unique it is. Start as a bitter Spetsnaz group leader in nuclear-ravaged Europe with a few hundred elite commandos, build a private army of any equally bitter surviving soldiers from either side who would follow you, and then steal leftover nuclear weapons to assassinate the world’s leaders at a Stockholm peace conference. The scrappy, unholy alliance you assemble by the final few missions was great.