Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

Thank you sir!

I was ‘losing’ this war, but then he made peace with another nation and moved his big fleets towards our frontiers. I caught 2 of his big fleets individually (with my entire navy) and pummeled them. During pummeling #2, he suddenly declared peace and I got all the systems I had claims on. I was somewhat shocked, but glad.

It think the right phrasing is “surrendered” rather than “declared peace”–you (ed: and the AI) always have the option to end a war with the “I lose” option where the opponent gets all their war goals. But yes, the UI does make it feel like all of a sudden they just declared peace.

Congrats! After the drubbing you gave him, sounds like he made the right choice and surrendered the systems you had claims on. :)

Or maybe he realized how awesome I am! :D

Do you guys play with fallen empires turned on? Apparently I picked 2 of them during game setup and suddenly things in the universe have gone crazy & I’m not sure what side to take or how to proceed.

Yeah, I typically leave them in. Are they waking up and causing trouble, it sounds like? If so, that’s one of the possible mid-game crises for the galaxy to deal with. I don’t think it’s super common, like 1 in 5 games kind of thing. I haven’t seen it since I picked the game back up this last expansion!

Good luck. :)

I’ve played several hundred hours of Stellaris and still never seen a War in Heaven, despite always leaving Fallen Empires in.

Been away from this for too long, need to get back to it, though I gather there’s going to be something of a learning curve. I think my last few games were on, like, 2.2 or something.

I started my first game in more than 3 years, and the tutorial is indeed still available. I’m glad, because I’d forgotten everything, and the new economy does require some explanation. So far the tutorial is very helpful.

Interesting. @vinraith, that’s what I’ve got going on. I’m gonna spoiler the rest of my comments…

I was in the middle of a war with another human empire and there are 2 fallen empires (one close and one a little further away). I’m beating up on those human losers when the war suddenly ends and my fleets all get ‘lost’ because that human empire gets annexed by one of the fallens. I then get asked which side I want to take - and I have no answer since neither empire seems to have enough personality to decide. Maybe I would have joined the good empire but neither seemed good or bad. Eventually I join a group of ‘nonaligned’ empires. Right before I quit for the night, I see one of the fallens destroy one of my allies’ fleets without breaking a sweat. The combat power of these awakened empires is amazing and I can’t see the fun in trying to combat them.

Is your coalition in a war state with them, then? One thing I’ve learned from dealing with the Great Khan midgame crisis is that defeat isn’t necessarily defeat in this game. By that I mean that the Khan was right next door to me when he went on his rampage and my fleet was utterly outmatched. There was no way I could go toe to toe with him and with their space bring right next door, I wasn’t going to be able to avoid him either. So I bent the knee, surrendered and became a subject under their rule, and plotted how and when I was going to break free.

I’m not familiar with that crisis so not sure what the options are so I’m not going to be of much use. You have my moral support, though! :)

What’s weird is that my unaligned coalition is not at war, although individual states are.

Here is a pic of the map near me (hopefully) showing how chaotic the map suddenly is. I’m watching fleets of all nations zooming every which way.

Anyone try the 3.3 beta? I quite like the concept of what they are doing to make a Unity build more attractive. Haven’t tried myself yet, will check it out once it is final.

I didn’t realize it had hit the beta branch! I’m looking for the unity improvements. I’ll probably wait for it to hit the release branch as well, but looking forward to it. I had thought it was further away than that, so great news.

I’ll likely dip my toes in once it goes final, as well. The first impressions I’ve heard are that there are a few oversights in some of the unity changes that should hopefully get ironed out by then.

War in Heaven was quite a mess when it happened in my game. I think I eventually joined in, unfortunately on the wrong side.

How’d the fallout of being on the losing side go for you? Did you continue on or was it game over?

I was messing around today with ship designs… seeing what worked better, going back to a previous save and not really ‘playing’ the game. Some big synth event happened in the middle of War in Heaven and gigantic fleets of these robots appeared all over. It’s almost like I chose some option during setup that invoked chaos!

Oh my, midgame crisis and endgame crisis landing back to back? Chaos, indeed. :)

@Scotten, I love that chaotic map you’ve got going on! Let us know what happens.

It’s hard to balance the end game when situations vary wildly. Ideally, they start overpowering, but don’t develop much while you eventually surpass their power with the economy you’ve been developing and some end game stuff. Ideally, which isn’t helped by the AI, although it’s getting better.

I’m not sure I have it in me to deal with the overlapping crises. I may be forced to abdicate! :D