Stellaris grand strategy space game by Paradox discussy thingy thready thingy

Doesn’t matter at all, no. Utilities being broken into groups by section is a relic from when different sections had different amounts of utility slots, instead of just different weapon hardpoints. Maybe they left it that way for modding?

Thanks. Good to know. I think defensive facings would be more interesting, but it’s certainly simpler this way.

Incidentally, I’m still liking the 3.3 beta. Not only is Unity more interesting now, but also game performance seems better – less laggy. I can’t comment yet on the AI improvements, but I am playing on the same difficulty I was playing on 3.2 (Ensign), and I’m having a much harder time of it. But that may just be my starting position, species choices, etc.

Until recently, nothing though I just started a laboratory building which I think will take three years to build. I probably should have started it earlier

I decided to keep playing a bit more in this second game, because I started the integrate subject process with one of my vassals. Our federation ended up in a war with one of the larger empires, and they are now 91% occupied and only 57% war exhaustion. I guess the last couple of pockets need to be tracked down to make them give up. Once the integration completed I needed to spend some time reorganizing, mostly disbanding their fleets, building some gateways to get the trade network extended, and add some admin capacity. One thing I noticed, not sure if it is a bug, they had around 10 habitats and they were completely empty. Not sure what was going on there. A federation member had a robot uprising during all of this, so I had to send off a fleet and some armies to stop that before they got out of hand.

Do you have available housing on the planet? Check the Population tab, what’s your growth rate and how long for the next pop to grow?

I wouldn’t worry about manually reassigning clerks, the job might not be the best from a min/max point of view but trade value and amenities are nice to have. They’ll automatically promote to higher tier jobs whenever they’re available. The only time I would worry about about manually focusing jobs away from Clerks if you’re on a planet that you’re trying to maximize a particular resource like Energy or Minerals and you want them in the mines instead of the office.

The only quirk I’m aware of with the AI that might have caused it is that the AI won’t colonize while at war. At all. So maybe they have just been in chain wars for a good many years and continued building the habitats.

This is very much a learning game and I’m likely making a lot of mistakes. After I settled my second planet I chose the policy to allow resettlement, thinking that would speed up the growth of my new colonies (I don’t have the tech allowing me to make robots) and so Earth now has a pop growth rate of -3.2. Available housing is 5.

capisce! Thank you both

More impressions from the 3.3 beta:

1. The game definitely seems faster. Be cautious before cranking things up to Fast or Fastest!

2. Unity is more important: if you need a new Admiral or Scientist, better make sure you’ve got the Unity for it – which may mean holding off on a Tradition.

3. The “Unity Fund” for Edicts is a terrific idea with some bugs. You get a “use it or lose it” slush fund of Unity to spend on Edicts. If you exceed the Fund, you dig into your main Unity pool to pay for the Edicts. So right now I have a slush fund of 60 Unity, enough for a couple Edicts. The bug is that if you go into negative Unity after completing all the Traditions, the resulting penalties are either offset (-20 stability offset by Traditions and Edicts) or are arguably beneficial (-100% Ethics attraction, which you could view as a free way to change pop ethicvs). I assume they’ll debug this, because the core idea is nifty.

4. Sprawl seems fine to me. On the one hand, you can no longer mitigate it with bureaucrats; crats now make Unity, not sprawl reduction. On the other hand, the penalties for sprawl seem more reasonable to me. (Research and Unity hits, basically.) I now mitigate sprawl by thinking harder about whether I really need a lousy system that’s not open to any of my competitors. But wide play seems perfectly feasible. I just passed on a tradition that cuts planet-induced sprawl by 50%; hope that wasn’t a mistake.

5. The economic AI for competitors is supposedly improved, but it’s hard for me to tell. For what it’s worth, I am struggling economically more in this game. I don’t think they’ve altered the fleet AI, but I just lost two systems in a war against a neighbor because I was stupid and the AI wasn’t. This game really requires you to think about chokepoints, and I’m lazy about it sometimes.

Thank you. I assume I have to wait until 3.3 actually releases before I can chose to stay on/revert back 3.2.2? I don’t see 3.2.2 in the list.

Just started playing again. Every time I start the game I get a database error with the launcher-v2.sqlite file, and every time I close the game out there is a crash. I put an exception in my AVG software as someone at reddit suggested but it didn’t help. Anyone know a fix for this?

I believe so, yep. Once 3.3 is live the current main branch gets added as a rollback branch.

Does the crash happen when opening the Stellaris launcher or do you get past that and it crashes on game startup? I’m assuming the latter but just wanted to make sure.

Uninstall AVG, don’t keep such crap on your computer please.

Have you tried deleting the file? You’ll lose the launcher settings, but, shrug; if you really care, it might be fixable with a sqlite3 client.

If I delete the file it launches OK but I have to do that every time, which is a PITA, since the file gets replaced. Was hoping for a better fix.

Oh, that’s weird. I’d try deleting the json configuration files, then (or the whole folder, really, other than the saves). After that, the launcher-v2 configuration folder, wherever that is on your OS.
After that, or in the middle, a bug report (with a search first)!

At this point I’ll probably just keep spamming them with crash reports and hope they fix the problem. maybe it will go away when 3.3 comes out.

I know you added an exception, but have you tried right-clicking AVG and disabling it just while the game launches? Just to determine if that is playing a factor at all. I don’t think it is necessarily as I have AVG and it runs fine, but might be helpful just to kind of check it off the list of potential culprits.

I disabled Avast and did not get the error message when starting up Stellaris. So there is something Avast doesn’t like even with the exception in place.

Edit - After restarting Avast it put up a message saying Stellaris was trying to change the launcher and did I want to allow that. I said yes and now there are no more error messages on launch. No idea why it didn’t just ask me that in the first place.

Thanks for the help guys.